Chapter 23 - Messed Up

Katsuki hesitated to answer when he saw an incoming call from Deku on his phone. He was exhausted from his patrol, only being able to relax for a moment because Mirko had paperwork to take care of. After he answered, he still wasn't sure whether or not he'd made the best decision for his own sanity, because the first words that came out of Izuku's mouth were-

"Kacchan, I really messed up"

-and at that his world stopped spinning for a moment. Because that could only mean one thing, right? That the idiot exposed himself, used more of his quirk than he was supposed to, that someone saw- That someone probably being All Might's fucking mentor- and Katsuki forgot how to breath for a second. Izuku should've never gone on that damn internship to begin with, he should've pressed harder, tried to convince him more... But that's all too late now.

"What did you do?" Katsuki whispered, finding himself unable to raise his voice any higher.
"Short version? I fought the Hero Killer to protect Iida and stole his quirk and Todoroki saw and Gran Torino's teaching license is probably gonna get revoked so my internship is getting cut short" Izuku rambled.
"Endeavor is taking the credit, though, to avoid any other legal trouble"

Katsuki must've been silent for longer than he thought after that, because Izuku asked him if he was still there.
"Y-yeah, uhm, I'm still here" Katsuki sighed, still trying to wrap his head around what he just heard.
"Icyhot is gonna keep his mouth shut, right? Do you need me to threaten him with silence? Because I will-"

"Todoroki-kun promised not to tell anyone" Izuku quickly interrupted.
"He knows about my quirk now and what it does and also that you and Aizawa sensei know about it and he was actually assigned to find out if I have multiple quirks by his father-"
"Deku, hold up" Katsuki interrupted him, glancing around to make sure no one was listening.
"I'm gonna need you to tell me the long version, okay? Don't leave out a damn detail"

So Izuku started to explain and Katsuki listened. It was concerning to find out that All Might roped other heroes in his search for answers and even more worrisome that Endeavor was using his own son as a spy, but luckily for them it hadn't worked out that way. Katsuki had to snort when Deku explained that Gran Torino was losing his teaching license because, seriously? Did that old fart really think Deku was gonna stay on that damn train? Ha, what an idiot!

"Then there were those other villains that were attacking... It took a lot of pros to take them down, apparently. I'm sure it's gonna be all over the news in no time" Izuku sighed.
"They just... They didn't seem human to me, Kacchan. Something was off about them... I don't like it"
"What was so off about them, then? Not like you to still be wary after the villains have been taken down" Katsuki frowned.

"Oh, uhm, well, I didn't realise it at the time, you know? Because I was too busy looking for Iida to really focus on them, but-" Izuku muttered.
"But I think a least one of them had more than one quirk"
"WHAT?!" Katsuki yelled, not caring about the looks he got.
"I'm gonna ask dad about it, after I ask him about Stain" Izuku quickly added.

"Since I'm going home soon, I'll probably be able to talk to him tomorrow... I'll text you whatever I find out then, okay? I mean, you must be busy with your own internship right now and- Oh God, I hope I didn't keep you too long! If you need to go just-"
"It's fine nerd, I'm on my break" Katsuki interrupted.
"And you better fucking text me tomorrow, got it?"

"Of course!" Izuku exclaimed from the other side.
"A-and, uh, Kacchan..?"
"What?" he grunted.
"I'm glad you're talking to me again"
That's right, he was supposed to be pissed at Deku for being an absolute idiot!

"You were right, like always... I shouldn't have picked this internship...but I'm happy I got to save Iida though! That's... That's the only positive thing that's come from this mess"
"You did what you had to do" Katsuki sighed.
"So does that mean you're not mad at me anymore?" Izuku asked, a hopeful tone in his voice.