Chapter 24 - Nomu

"Oi, come with me for a sec, we need to talk"

Shoto wasn't really all that surprised when Bakugou asked to speak with him after school, but they'd had to be quick or else he'd be home late and his father would demand an explanation. And if he wasn't home, Fuyumi would ask and tell their father about it afterwards. She was kind and sweet and Shoto liked her but her efforts at rebuilding their family bonds were sometimes a little overbearing...

"I'm just gonna cut to the point here" Bakugou stated when they were alone.

"Not everyone would've done what you have for Deku, so thanks"

Shoto blinked, processing the words. Did he just...thank him? Of all the things he'd expected this conversation to be about, he never imagined Bakugou would thank him. No, he thought this would be the blonde threatening him into silence and making sure he kept his mouth shut about Midoriya, to not be in the way. This was an unexpected turn of events, but that didn't mean it wasn't a welcome one.

"Look, I'm still fucking pissed you didn't use your fire when we fought and it's not like I fucking like you now or something" Katsuki added, wanting to make that very clear.
"But Deku is my best friend and you protected him even though you could've easily ratted him out to your dad or All Might. Hell, you even went as far as covering up for his stupid ass! So yeah, fuck, I'm thankful, okay?"

"...You're welcome" Shoto answered, unsure of how to react.
"I promise I won't tell anyone about his quirk or its origins"
"Good" Bakugou huffed, crossing his arms. That seemed to be the end of the conversation, at least that's what Shoto concluded after a moment of silence. He grabbed his bag from where he'd dropped it before, ready to leave when Bakugou stopped him.

"What you said back there with Aizawa sensei meant a lot to Deku" Bakugou said.
"Were you serious about that?"
"What?" Shoto asked, confused.
"When you said you think of him as a hero, did you mean it?" Katsuki clarified.
"Because if you don't, then cut it out. I won't allow you to toy with that idiot's feelings"

"I meant what I said, otherwise I would've stayed silent" Shoto simply answered.
"Midoriya may have a quirk of dubious origins, but I believe his intentions are pure. Unlike most heroes I know..."
"Endeavor?" Katsuki asked, making Shoto frown. How did he know about that?
"I kinda overheard your talk with Deku at the sportsfestival. You shouldn't talk about those fucking things in public, you know?"

Oh.

So Bakugou also knew about his home life now... Well, he didn't seem like the person to spread rumors or someone who would pity him over it, so he guessed it was fine. Shoto was lucky no one else overheard.
"He's...aggressive and violent, even as a pro hero" Shoto frowned.
"I don't understand how he ever made it to the number two spot... But then again, my view of pro heroes changed a lot recently"

"Yeah, once you know about AFO, All Might seems like an ass" Katsuki sighed.
"I've looked up to him my whole life, thinking that he was different, that he was a real hero" Shoto continued.
"But he's just as manipulative and shady as Endeavor..."
"All Might is the best fucking hero out there, nobody can deny that" Bakugou countered.

"And it's not like he knows a literal child has AFO-"

"That didn't stop him from trying to kill us at the USJ" Todoroki interrupted, making Katsuki's eyes widen.
"...So you know about that, huh?" Bakugou muttered.
"You're right, he's reckless and deranged and he shouldn't be allowed to teach but here we fucking are... Like I said, I still think he's a good hero, but that doesn't make him a good person"

Being a good hero doesn't mean you're a good person... Somehow those words caught Shoto completely off guard. Like a universal truth he hadn't realised until he was told. Of course being able to beat up others didn't make you a good person! That's why he sided with Midoriya, right? Because he is a good person, despite his flaws and shortcomings.
"I've said what I wanted to say" Bakugou grunted.
"Won't hold you up any longer. See you tomorrow or whatever"