Chapter 22 - Shoto Todoroki

Shoto liked to think he had a choice, liked to be reminded by the long list of internship requests he'd received as he walked behind his father. Most of them were probably just because he's the son of Endeavor, he knew that, but it was still nice that he'd been offered a way out. At least, in theory. Because if he was being realistic, he knew there was no way he wouldn't intern under his father, not if Endeavor had any say in the matter. And the man had a lot to say.

"Sit" Endeavor grunted as they entered his office. Shoto simply watched his father walk over to his desk, stubbornly standing up in petty defiance.
"Why are we here? I thought you wanted to train me while I was here, not chat" he sighed, seeing his father pull out a file from his desk. He recognized the photo attached to it, or at least the person depicted in the photo, but it only raised more questions.

"What are your thoughts on Midoriya Izuku?"

"What does that has to do with anything?" Shoto frowned.
"Just answer the question, Shoto" Endeavor hissed. He was serious about this... Maybe he had seen his connection to All Might as well..? It was the only possible explanation.
"He has a strong quirk and a lot of conviction" Shoto said.
"Once he sets his mind on something, he's determined to get it. But he's also kind, caring, and everyone in our class seems to like him"

It was Endeavor's turn to frown as he looked into the file, not giving Todoroki any explanation whatsoever. Shoto was curious now, carefully walking up to his desk and finally sitting down in front of him.
"Has he piqued your interest?" he couldn't help but ask, making his father glance up for a moment.
"Has he ever acted strange to you or your classmates? Have you ever seen something...odd about him?" Endeavor asked, and well, okay, ignoring Shoto completely like usual.

"What do you mean by odd?"

Yes, two could play this game. So unless he wanted them to ask questions back and forth and waste both their time, he better start explaining what this was all about.
"All Might, of all people, has requested me to look into him" Endeavor started, making Shoto's eyes widen.
"Apparently he thinks this boy has something to do with a powerful villain he's been trying to track down. Someone with the power to steal and give quirks to others"

"Such a power doesn't exist" Shoto answered quickly, even though Endeavor wasn't done yet.
"He believes Midoriya has multiple quirks, in a way that's not natural or inherited like yours, and therefore has ties to this villain. He's been trying to collect evidence to back up his claim, but UA isn't allowing him anywhere near him since he caused a certain...accident to happen" his father continued.
"He must be certain if he's willing to put lives on the line just to get a lead on this villain"

"An accident? What accident?" Shoto frowned.
"The USJ accident" Endeavor clarified, making Shoto's veins run cold. All Might had caused the USJ to malfunction..? He'd always thought of All Might as a great hero, as a good person, but now... He'd endangered his students' lives just to prove a point! Shoto vividly remembered Asui shaking in his arms, remembered seeing the burns on his classmate's arms... People nearly drowned! Midoriya almost froze to death in that dome!

So that were his true colours, huh..? He was just like Endeavor after all... No wonder he suddenly wasn't teaching first years anymore. UA couldn't risk their image like that, not for something that still wasn't proven to be true. Realization washed over him as he stared at the file on the desk in front of him. All Might couldn't stalk him anymore, but Shoto could... That's why his father was telling him all this, wasn't it? This was his new assignment...

"This is a villain not even All Might is able to get a lead on! Do you understand what that means, Shoto?" Endeavor asked, standing up to grin at his son.
"You want me to keep an eye on Midoriya, right?" he sighed, not even looking up at the man as he spoke.
"To see if he really has multiple quirks... And then you can interrogate him"