Chapter 27 - Practical Exam

The written exams were over before they knew it. They were pretty exhausting, but not all that hard. At least Izuku didn't think so and Kacchan agreed with him, unlike some other people in their class.
"I don't understand why everyone is so worried about Classic Japanese... I didn't think the exam was that hard" Shoto stated while they were discussing their latest exam over lunch.

Izuku was happy he became a somewhat permanent presence in his lunch group. Even Shinsou decided to sit with him more often than not nowadays, meddling with the hero course students along the way. Kacchan always acted annoyed by them but Izuku could see they were growing on him. He liked them, whether he wanted to admit it or not!

"That's cause you're at the top of the damn class, icyhot" Katsuki hissed while stabbing his food, covering up the compliment with his harsh tone.
"So are you though" the halfa pointed out.
"I didn't fucking say it was hard for me now did I?!"
"Geez, calm down explodo" Hitoshi snorted.

"And stop talking about the exams, I'm depressed enough as it is"

"Come on, exams aren't that bad" Izuku chuckled.
"Yeah, you don't even have to worry about practicals" Katsuki grunted, making Izuku's blood run cold. Right, the practical exam at the end of the week... Nothing for a general studies student to worry about, but something every hero course student lost sleep over. Certainly Izuku. Most definitely Izuku.

He hadn't been able to stop planning everything out ever since Aizawa sensei told him about it. It might show in his results for the written portion but the main objective was still passing the practical. He had back-up plans for his back-up plans, fail saves built into every little step. Kacchan had told him to stop overplanning this shit, that it would only make him more anxious in the end. He did have a point, but Izuku didn't know how he could cope without overanalyzing every little detail.

"God, I'd gladly take any practical if that meant I'd be part of the hero course" the insomniac mumbled.
"I thought your training was going well?" Todoroki asked.
"Yeah, it's on schedule but I still feel like I'm falling behind" Hitoshi sighed.
"Hisashi says he's gonna try to fix something for me after summer break but I don't know if he'll be able to convince UA of my skill level yet"

"That's because you don't believe enough in yourself!" Izuku smiled.
"Have a little faith in my dad, okay? He's a great quirk analyst and he will get you into the hero course, I promise"
"Don't make promises you can't keep" Shinsou muttered under his breath. If anyone heard, they decided to ignore it.

"I wonder what the practical will be this year. I heard the others say something about robots" Shoto said, slightly shifting the conversation again.
"Robots would be fucking boring, I bet we're gonna fight some actual people" Katsuki grunted, not giving away the fact he already knew all about the exam. Izuku was only allowed to tell him, after all. Nobody was supposed to know or be able to prepare, that was the whole point! Yet Izuku was glad Aizawa sensei made an exception for them. They just had to keep it quiet.

"People? Against hero students?" Hitoshi asked, raising a brow.
"So like, pro heroes, maybe?"
"Who else, insomniac?" Katsuki mumbled, rolling his eyes as if that was obvious.
"Hm, but getting pros to partake in UA exercises would be difficult... Unless they are alumni, of course" Todoroki frowned, clearly not liking the idea.

"I wouldn't be worried about Endeavor showing up, if that's where you're going with this" Izuku sighed.
"He's way too high up in the rankings for simple first years like ourselves. Bet that if they're pulling in alumni then they're picking out of the younger heroes. Less chance we know their name or the full extent of their quirks, you know?"

"True... Well, whatever they've got planned for you, I'm sure it'll be a challenge. Eraserhead wouldn't miss a chance to make his class struggle" Shinsou mused with a teasing smile.
"Oh yeah? What the hell happened to I would do any practical if it meant I'd be in the hero course?" Katsuki scoffed.
"Oh hush grumpy, like you'll have any trouble passing" Hitoshi mumbled, waving off the comment.