Chapter 13

"When someone you love becomes a memory,that memory becomes a treasure."-T.S.Geisel

Chloe's POV:

I raise the colorful spiral ribbon higher and tilt my head to Emma. She cocks her eyebrows and gestures her hand up. I tip toe on my feet, trying my best to balance my weight on the silver ladder and raise the ribbon further up on the wall.

"Perfect." She yells from down and I stick the ribbon on the wall.I bend slowly and descend the steps half way. Emma hands me two more ribbons of different size and shade.

I clutch them and climb up back. This time I plaster the other ribbons easily next to the former one making them all in equal level.

Since morning everyone is busy trying to finish off decorating the huge hall of the cafeteria. Well, it really is just a big dining hall but I like giving it a fancy name cafeteria.

 Aiden and Trinity left the asylum few hours back to get a cake for Eric. Rachel stayed behind, helping us with the decorations once it arrived to the asylum. 

Its still surprising how they let out some patient for while , well under observation of course, outside the walls of asylum but in any case, it wouldn't be right to call Aiden mentally challenged. He had a traumatic past that affects his present, I'm glad the doctors are supportive enough to let the disturbed people such as me, Aiden and the rest of us have a normal life as much as possible. Besides, they're mentally trying to prepare us for the world we would enter into after leaving this place.

The thought of going and leaving who knows where makes me shudder and I quickly shrug it off.

It was a lucky day for every staff member since no one had to make excuses or lie to their superior, Dr Donald, about hosting a birthday and farewell party. He was off for today.

Xavier offered to distract Eric until the hall is set ready and the cake arrives. Both the boys were spending time drawing in the classroom, Mel made sure to check on them secretly often to make sure Eric doesn't show up in the hall.

I sigh, messaging my arms that were aching from all the work. I walk over to one of the nurse and help them set up the table. Melissa and Emma were busy with the balloons.

After two more hours I stand beside Emma in awe as everyone stares at the decorated hall. A smile stretches on my features as I admire the colorful and decent decoration.

The hall was surrounded by different shades of balloons and ribbons. A small yet eye- catching banner was hanged near the table that is set with the cake and other birthday presents. The banner states in bold and shimmery font 'Happy Birthday Eric'.

Aiden requests the staff to switch off the lights and everyone stands in silence, in the dark waiting for the little soul.

The door pushes open and a head peeps inside. I faintly make out in the darkness that it is Xavier making sure everything is ready before he pushes the door wide open and Eric walks in beside him, holding his hand.

I take a deep breath trying to contain my excitement. Emma and Mel stand side by side next to me waiting for the signal along with the rest of the people in the room.

The lights flash open, I blink quickly trying to adjust my vision before all the members in the cafeteria greet Eric in unison.

The young boy freezes in shock, he lets go off Xavier's hand and walks two steps ahead. His grey orbs frantically eye each of us and a warm smile makes it's way as our gazes meet.

His mouth slightly hangs opens as he takes in his surroundings that are screaming his birthday celebration.

Those large grey eyes brim with tears before he quickly wipes them off with his one arm and a grateful smile forms on his face.