Chapter 17

"Maybe we will never meet but we can still walk together like parallel lines to infinity and beyond."- Unknown

Chloe's POV:

I walk past people gathered in the corridors. Everything looks dulls inside and out in my perspective. A dull ache tugs my heart.

I pass the cafeteria, glancing at the usual crowd settling for the dinner. I halt at the doorway considering my thoughts.

This is probably going to be my last day here. I've decided to move out of the asylum using the agreement. My stay for four months will come to an end by tomorrow evening.

I stare down at my feet, a swarm of memories I made in this place start to suffocate me.

Inhaling the scent of hot sizzling food, I walk inside the cafeteria. My eyes scan over the groups of patients and stop at one group. Them

Everyone sat in silence eating their meal. Emma was the first one to find me peeking at them. My heart skips a beat when our gazes meet.

Others on the table follow her gaze, finding me standing in the corner. Melissa waves her hand at me, gesturing to join them.

If things were normal, a smile would be on my face as usual and I would run to have dinner with my small family.

A small smile tugs at the corner of my lips. Everyone's gaze studies me. A wave of guilt and pain crashes me when I find Bella and Eric missing in that perfect picture.

Xavier's eyes meet mine and he looks away. He continues eating his food, ignoring me. My heart drops recalling yesterday's events with all of them.

My ghost smile falters away and I turn around on my heels, walking out.

Until everyone finished their dinner, I took my time discovering the changes made since I left the asylum. Many new doctors were hired from the other towns, the upper floors were shut down for time being.

Few of the patients on the third floor were shifted to other towns for better treatment.

I sigh, standing outside the small white office, tapping my feet on the ground. I needed to tell Rachel about my plans on leaving the asylum.

She would be upset just like others but there's no way anyone here can stop me from leaving now that I'm done with my treatment and temporary stay in asylum.

After few minutes of waiting outside the office, one of the new doctors informed me Rachel won't be here for next three days. Trinity will be back before midnight.

I guess I'll just inform them before I step out of this place. I still need to call that one particular inspector I met months back. Mr. Roy.

He will help me find a suitable orphanage in some town. I keep altering my plans based on the outcomes and go on planning.

Hours pass and everyone in the hospital headed back to their rooms.

I didn't bother going to my room, trying to avoid any conversation others may bring up based on my decision.

I look around the small reception at the entrance of the asylum.

Most of the nurses are probably on rounds to check on their patients. The lights of the corridor were switched off, giving a creepy vibe.

I shake my head and make my out of the asylum. I'll try waiting for Trinity's return, it's important that I inform one of them before I ring Mr.Roy.

I pull the glass door and step outside the asylum.