Chapter 21

" The past can hurt. But the way I can see it, either you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Walt Disney.

Chloe's POV:

I sucked a deep breath, trying to calm down my growing nerves. Xavier doesn't move an inch further, staring at the dark broken structure of the house.

Another shriek appears and my heart jolted.

Swallowing the pulp in my throat, I hesitantly take a step further.

I don't believe in ghosts or spirits, but I'm suddenly considering my thoughts and beliefs at this moment.

The house was one story building without a single ounce of live in it. This entire street itself looked like a haunted alley, but the screams started to throw me off this time.

I furrow my eyebrows when I spot something move inside that particular house from the broken, dirty windows.

The wooden door jolts open and a figure runs out, flailing its hands in the air. It was heading towards us and it was too dark to identity anything. The screams made my heart stop beating in a normal rhythm.

Just like in horror movies, where the main characters lose their brain cells and don't move when a demon attacks them, I do the exact same.

Demons do exist.

The figure comes running towards us and it takes a moment for me to register the sense of familiarity. My doubts clear away when the moonlight peeks from the clouds above, giving me a sight.

Out of nowhere, Emma shrieks, running onto the empty streets. Her eyes were shut closed, with tears running down her soft face.

The mad girl runs onto the street, screaming like a witch and halts when she snaps her eyes open.

Xavier lets out a huge sigh of relief spotting out our dumb friend. Her face lights up like sun and she dashes towards me, crushing me into a breathless hug.

"Chloe, you made it!" I chuckle at her, sighing in relief that the group arrived before us. Surprisingly Aiden led them to the same building I had my eyes on for a stay.

"I did ma'am. What's with you running like a maniac?" She breaks away from me, her lips quiver as she points towards the house.

Just then I spot a head peeking out from the shadows behind that door Emma came through. I had to squint my eye in the darkness, that's when I caught Melissa staring at us.

"There's a huge fat rat in that home!" Emma cries once again, shaking my shoulders in an attempt to get my attention.

I roll my eyes and pat her back, "It probably left by now honey." I smile softly at her and Xavier stifles his laugh behind me.

She looks between us in confusion and raises an eyebrow," How?"

"Your screams gave me a heart attack so the poor creature basically died right there."

A smack lands on back of my head and I mouth 'ouch', rubbing that area. Emma huffs loudly, making me grin.

"Let's go inside." Xavier leads the way. I catch Melissa and Aiden standing at the threshold, smiling on our arrival.

Mel opens the door widely and everyone walks inside except for Emma who had to be consulted with Aiden's peaceful words before she gives in.

I heard him telling that he chased the mice away to soothe her.