thirty three

SOPHIE'S POV

I was sitting on my couch watching the Islanders v. Kings in L.A.

Auston sitting next to me claiming that he would rather die than watch this game but, I think he just likes Mat now.

It was a really good game for defense but, not at all for offense. Noah and Pelech have been doing a lot of good skating. I was half sad, half-mad,  and half giddy.

Giddy for Noah and how good of a game this was for him. Sad and mad for it was 2nd period and 4-1 Kings score.

I got up and went to the kitchen for some popcorn. Auston yelling at me to get some for him too.

While I was watching the popcorn pop I saw Auston slowly walk in through the microwave reflection.

I turned around and grew curious at his worrisome face.

I laugh nervously, "What's up?"

"Sophie, don't freak out," I grow even more panicked at the use of my full name.

"Auston, what's wrong?" I demand.

"Mat got hurt."

I immediately run back into the living room grabbing the TV remote and rewinding to see it.

He was turning a corner with a King player right behind him. They fall together against the wall but, when they went down Mat twisted his lower leg and ankle land underneath the other player. His face immediately contorts in pain and I feel tears gather in my eyes.

The play continues until the ref notices it and whistles. He tries to stand up on one leg but can't. Lee comes over and walks him back over to the locker room.

Auston comes up behind me, "He got up, Soph. At least he got up."

"But, he couldn't walk by himself," I sniffle.

He quickly points to the TV, "Look, look he's coming back to the bench. He's going into the next shift. He's fine, Sophie, he's good."

He was going over the beach to get to the ice. I released a slow breath, trying to calm myself down.

The puck drops and he immediately gets back into it, taking a quick turn. Immediately after, he gets off the ice walking to the locker room with a limp.

"He's not okay," I say with a voice crack.

I quickly grab my phone going to text him, I know he isn't going to answer for a while but, I need to do it.

________
mat ❤️‍🔥

i know you aren't going to answer
but if there is a slight chance that
you do
please please please
tell me you are okay, or
tell me something
even if you aren't okay
just tell me something
let the doctors take care of you
don't try and get onto the ice again mathew
i saw you limp off of the ice
please just tell me something
delivered