forty one

SOPHIE'S POV

For the past couple of days, Mat has been sitting on the couch watching hockey games, playing chel, or watching me do stuff. He has been absolutely miserable—always wanting to go do something but, then he tries to get up and immediately winces and sits back down grumbling something.

Tonight was the game against the Colorado Avalanches, number one in the NHL at the moment, playing against the Islanders. Mat was upset about not being there and helping. Also, being upset playing against ex-Islander Devon Toews.

We weren't very hopeful for this game, we knew the guys would try their best but, there was no way we would win.

I made us popcorn and he had his bubblegum ice cream that he claims 'will give them good luck.'

I sat on the couch next to him and he pulled me into his side and his arm around my shoulder. I blushed like this was the first time he touched me...which was not.

We intensely watched the game, quite a lot of yelling and throwing popcorn at the tv.

Most of the game we were tied, I don't know about Mat but, I didn't expect this. We were winning for about 30 minutes through the second period and the start of the third. Then, we tied again.

With ten minutes left in the 3rd period, Sebastian Aho made a goal. It was reviewed for if it crossed the line or not. It was not.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I yelled, standing up and getting right in front of the TV. "That was a fucking goal you motherfuckers! Hell no! That was a goal, you fucking idiots!"

I was harshly breathing for several minutes after this happened. Mat sat there silent the entire time, not saying anything, not looking at me, nothing.

"Do you still like me after that," I wave my hand around. "I have anger issues when it comes to hockey. I am sorry."

He finally turns to me, says nothing just stares at me.

"Do you want to be my girlfriend?"

I blink, not expecting that at all. "What?"

"Do you want to be my girlfriend?" He asks again.

I was at a loss for words, I thought he was going to kick me out and never speak to me again but, he does this...

"Yes," I say, still thrown off.

He nods and goes back to being silent.

A few moments later, he grabs the remote and pauses the game. I immediately go to grab the remote to un-pause it.

"The game," I whine.

"You care, you care about my team a lot, and I feel so happy about that. You screaming at the TV, cursing everybody out makes me want to kiss you for how much I love it."

I shyly smile and shrug, "It's no big deal. I love the team."

He smiles and tucks my hair behind my ear and comes close to my face. "That's what makes it even better," He whispers on my lips before passionately kissing me.

I slowly straddle his lap, making sure to be cautious of his leg, and go deeper and deeper into our kiss.

His hands gripping my waist and a little lower, small noises coming out of our mouths.

Suddenly, my phone buzzed beside me. I immediately break away, shocking Mat, and checking my phone.

I always have my NHL notifications on so even when I am watching the game, I get notifications when somebody makes a point.

FINAL — COL v NYI 5-3

I slump against Mat's chest and let out a weird sound I make when I am sad.

He picks up my phone and reads the notification.

He pulls my face up to look into his. "We were close," He says. "At least we tried our best."

"At least we tried our best," I mimic him and scoff. "Sound like my fucking kindergarten teacher."

He laughs and pulls me into a hug. "My girlfriend is feisty."

"Shut the fuck up, Mathew."

______
romance 😍