forty six

SOPHIE'S POV

Her car was filled with hiccups and sniffles as she sat in there.

"Soph, Soph, calm down please," Mitch's voice came through her speakers as her phone was on Bluetooth.

"They were talking Mitch, Matthew probably said something and Mat is going to leave me,"

"This is Mat Barzal we are talking about here Sophie. He wouldn't do that."

"You said the same thing about Matthew," I hiccuped.

There was a silence to which I could imagine him grimacing because he did say that. "Yeah, I did but, this time I really mean it."

"I am just going to stay in my car until the game ends and wait for him to break up with me," I decide.

"That isn't going to happen."

"It could," I argue.

"Stop Sophie! Talk to him after the game, don't assume things. It will be fine," Mitch scolded me.

I sniffle, finally stop crying. "Yeah, okay. I will talk to him."

"Okay, good, I am at practice now but, after that, I am free for whatever you need. Remember that."

I start tearing up again, "Mitch I love you, thank you for everything."

He scoffs, "Don't go mushy on me."

I laugh, "I love you Mitchy."

"I love you too Soph," He softly says. "Now, I need to go to practice. Don't run away, listen to your man Sophie!"

.....

I stay in my car until I check that the game ended. The flames won but at this time I really didn't care. I sat outside the Islander's locker room until he came out.

He didn't notice I was sitting there until I stood up and started walking towards him. He had his hat down low on his face and he was looking at the ground.

"Mat," I hesitantly call out.

He turns around and instantly relaxes, "I thought you left," He says while grabbing the back of my neck and yanking me into a hug.

I stand there shocked. I wasn't expecting this reaction. I pull back and look at his face and gasp.

"Mathew Barzal, What the fuck happened to your face?"

He guilty pulls his hat back down to cover his face.

I snatch it off his head to reveal a black eye and busted lip. "Mathew, you just got back into playing and you hurt yourself," I scold.

He looks around everywhere but at me, "I'm guessing you left before the fight happened," He awkwardly rubs the back of his neck.

"Fight!" I practically yell.

"Yes, fight," He mumbles. "He was saying shit about you and I couldn't stand it so, I fought him."

I was shocked, "Why? Why would you do that for me?"

He looked offended that I even asked that, "Why wouldn't I? You're my girlfriend and he was saying shit about you, so I got angry."

I started to tear up, "You would do that for me?"

He analyzes me to see if I was really asking him that question. "Baby," He wraps me up in a hug. "Of course, I would-" He shortly stops before he said the L-word.

We bask in each other's embrace for a moment before I ask, "What did he say to you?"

He sighs, "He told me that he cheated on you," He says softly while rubbing his thumbs against my sides. "And some other shit that I am not telling you."

"Does what he said change your thoughts of me?" I hesitantly ask.

He immediately scoffs, "No, not at all. I just want to beat his ass more."

"So, you don't want to break up with me or anything?"

He pulls me deeper into the hug and buries his face into my neck giving it small kisses, "No, you're mine forever," He mumbles.

"Forever eh?" I muse.

"Yes."

I laugh, "Okay, Mr. Barzal, let's go home."

"Okay, Mrs. Barzal."

"Woahh there slow down. I thought you were about to break up with me ten minutes ago."

"Never ever."