Chapter 18

"Karo, I don't want Paul to become a guardian. I want all of the children to go to college and make something of their lives. Something other than blood, guts, carnage and an almost assured far too early a death."

"So, do we Dimka, so do we but we can't afford that."

"Neither of you are to worry about that. I would appreciate it if you would transfer Paul to the school in Baia next year. Keeping him away from the guardian and moroi way of life completely. And when the time comes that is where I want Zoya to go as well. And you as well Sonja, I don't know if you have picked a name yet. But no matter whether your child is a boy or a girl I want him or her to go to college as well. And when the children are old enough, Roza and I will train them to fight and defend ourselves. Just so that they will be able to defend themselves and each other against the strigoi. Just as we will train all of our children. Just because none of them hopefully will ever become guardians. That does not mean that they will not be trained to protect themselves and each other. We will not leave our family unprotected and defenseless."

"Thank you Dimka, thank you so much." Both of my older sestry cried as they each grabbed one of my hands. (sisters)

"I wish that the two of you would go back to school too." I said to both of my older sestry. (sisters)

"But we can't afford to quit our jobs and go to school Dimka. We need what little money that we make to help keep the house running." Sonja informed me.

"I have some money saved up and if we need more, then I can always work a part time job in the summer."

"Dimka we couldn't possibly take that money. That is money that you have saved up for you and your family." Karo said.

"You are both a part of my family. And as I said before, don't worry about the money, I will get it somehow. Now tell me, is there anything that you have ever dreamed of doing?"

I saw Karo chew on her bottom lip.

"What is it Karo?"

"Well, I have always wanted to become an X-ray technician."

"That's great!! What about you Sonja?"

"I looked into taking phlebotomy classes before I got pregnant."

"Ohhh a family full of medical experts." My mama clapped her hands and smiled proudly.

"I am sooo sooo proud of all of you."

"What do you expect mama..." I laughed.

"You are not only a midwife, but you are also a licensed practical nurse and babushka is a midwife as well." (grandmother)

My mother's smile grew.

(I HOPE THAT LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE IS THE CORRECT TERM. BECAUSE I KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT MEDICAL TERMS. ALTHOUGH I DEFINITELY SHOULD GIVEN HOW MUCH I HAVE TO GO TO THE DOTOR. LOL.)

"Do either of you know where you can take those kinds of classes?"

"The local hospital in Baia has programs in phlebotomy, they even pay you a little while you take the classes. If you are willing to give a few hours a week as volunteers in the hospital outside of class hours." Sonja informed all of us.

"But they don't take pregnant women." She continued sadly.

"Well, that's an easy enough problem to fix. After you recover from giving birth, your babushka and I will keep the baby and you can sign up for the next round of classes." My mother volunteered. (grandmother)

"Really?" My big sestra asked our mother with tears in her eyes. (sister)

"Of course, dear. If doing that will make you happy, then that is what your babushka and I both want for you." (grandmother)