🌺Twenty Two🌺

NOT BECAUSE I'M SINGLE, I AM MISERABLE

While everyone is busy with the engagement of the ML and the FL, I am sitting at my swivel chair in my office prepared by my father. He finally recognized my ability after I win three consecutive deals that were supposed to be won by the Male Lead but since all of the credit was made by the original Barbara in the story and I exited the company earlier than the story plotline. The deals became under my father's company.

"So what does it feel to be at the top?" Jake asked as he crossed his legs while sitting in front of me. As soon as I change company, he also change his job title, now he became my executive secretary, though I knew that he have his own company to run. Sigh.

"What? That I am now the official boss? It feels nice", I said and swing my chair to face the city view. My office was pretty high that cars looks like ants in my eyes from the viewpoint of this place.

"You had that look again", Jake murmured.

"What look?" I said raising my brow.

"Look like you don't belong here, and the happenings in this world are just a show for you to watch", he said with a dim expression on his face.

"You think so?" I said and pick a folder. I'm not surprise of what he says because I already heard it many times before, right after I occupy this body. One of those who ask me is the ML's father when he interviewed me as Barbara.

"The look in your eyes, tells thousand of messages that whatever unfolds in front of you is just what as you expected. That you know something we don't..."

I smile upon remembering that old man. I pity him for having JC as his son. As much as he's loyal to his wife, his son will be the death of him someday because of that whore nature and when that time comes, I can only watch at the sidelines.

"Well, I'm a good observant you know. And to become one, you must keep quiet and observe your enemies life pattern and strike when the right moment comes"

After all, I am just a side character. The spotlight of the story doesn't focused on me so I can do everything as much as I want to. I am more free than the FL and ML who act like a puppet within the author's palm. I hold my own free will of emotions and choices even if the plotline throw me into different circumstances just to get her beloved characters stronger.

I'm scanning the reports given to me as my eyes wondered at door that suddenly open. My father went in with a proud smile on his lips.

"Are you tired my child?" I shrugged and put down the file.

"Not at all when I'm having fun", I grinned as Jake bow his head slightly and exit the room. The corner of my mouth lift a little because a Chairman of another company with similar power like ours bow to me as my executive secretary. I wonder what will happen to his company if he continue like this.

"Have you seen the invitation?" father asked as his face turned grim.

"What invitation?" I asked as I raised my eyebrow. Just thinking, maybe Jake throw away the invitation that was intended for me.

Father pulled a pink envelope from his coat and handled to me. As I open the envelope, names written in gold and silver welcome my eyes.

You are Invited in the upcoming Engagement Party of
James Cameron Augustine & Charie Dell
at 0X-XX-XXXX
that will held at XxxxxxxX

I rolled my eyes and let go of card. I mocking laugh came out from my lips.

"They could have atleast change the date and venue", my father frown.

I stand up and went to my father to sooth his frown. "Don't frown your forehead Dad. Getting old from this trivial matter doesn't suite you. Just let them pick up the things that we throw away"

Father nodded and look at me as I went back to my seat. Jake knock and went to deliver a warm tea. As I drink my tea father asked.

"Dawn, when will I have to see you get married? I don't want to see you miserable being single"

Surprise with the question. I quickly put down the cup and slightly press my nose to stop the tea from going into the wrong way.

"Dad!" I protest.

Father laugh at my state as I wipe the corner of my mouth with tissue.

"Sorry my bad", he tried to stop from laughing as I glared at him. I cough, composing myself.

"You know, not because I'm single I'm miserable. It just that, I have been grew being independent to do everything I can on my own that depending myself to a man is another challenge", I said.

That's what I live my life in my original world and the life I live as Barbara. Not all men are gentle to help you when you are in need and not all friend will be there to help you when you call them so with that reason I became independent to the point that I won't need help even at my worst.

The only comfort I had when I have trouble is my siblings smiling face when they welcome me from a tiring work.

"True", my father agreed. "But just in case you found the man you loved, janitor or delivery man as long you will be happy. I'll support you"

"Dad..."

"What? You're my only daughter so I should help you find happiness. So when you find your happiness let this old man be happy too by letting me taking care of my grandchildren"

"Dad!" my eyes widened. Father only laughed and stand. "Alright. Go back to work and enjoy your work"

After closing the door my energy drained. Marriage. I haven't thought about it even in that world because all I had in mind is helping my family.

In the end of the day do I need to get married? And if I did, whom will I get married?