Twenty - Six

Her Eyes

A/N: What I write now is the Point of View of Solomon and his flashbacks. Because, after his point of view, this story might take ten chapters or so before it reach to conclusion. Sorry for the long waiting and thanks for those who keep reading this story even it took so much time to update.

******

"Mr. Walker", someone called me while I was in a deep thought. When I raised my head, her brown eyes met mine. It was a moment, but I still get struck and keep drowning in her eyes. How long since it's been that I fell for her? Maybe since I fell on my curiosity on why she wasn't smiling or how she commented herself to stop assuming someone might fell for her.

"Thanks Ms. Hanson", I said and received the folder from her. She nods and fixes her thin eyeglasses.

Barbara Hanson. The girl who always had a cold gaze upon everyone. No one had ever seen her smile in our office or had seen her with other co-workers. No one wonders because no one cares as long they do their job properly, but not me.

At first, I was just like everyone else, I don't care about her, but not until she saves me from killing myself. I know it is absurd, but I did try to commit suicide from so much pressure I got in the position that my father given me. I am the only son of my father, yet I got so much to prove to him just to make me his heir. My mother died at childbirth and since then my father hated my very existence. Because to him, I am the person who killed his beloved wife and because of that I must prove to him why my mother needs to choose me over her life.

"That's dumb", she commented when I was about to jump off the building. She sat beside me and looked at the city lights with empty eyes.

"Don't say something like you know me? You didn't know me and what are the things I must suffer," I yelled at her. She nods and sighs. "Yeah. I don't know you and you also don't know me. But don't you think it is a little dumb to take your life for just a single problem?"

"Dumb? My father always blames me for the death of my mother. He always said that I'm not good enough to take the life my mother gave me. Don't you know how terrible I felt about that! I didn't ask her to give birth yet I'm here suffering because my father can't love me..."

"You're still dumb." She spoke. "If your father can't love you try to at least appreciate the love your mother left you. Try to appreciate the reason why she brought you to this world. That even if your father can't love you all his life, the fact that your mom chooses you over her life is the reason that there still even one parent loved you so much to choose you above everything else even the life itself,"

"Is that why, you not that affected when Mr. Cameron choose your friend even, he knew that your interested in him?" I asked.

Her gaze gone cold then turned warm then blank, something that fascinates me. "It was a spur of a moment fascination. If there are people that truly love me and care for me that is all matters," she stands up and dust her pencil cut skirt.

"That is why sir, we should go back to work. Jumping off that height will kill you sure, but I know before you hit the ground you will regret your decision that's why I'm stopping you first," she said with a smile that brought my heart to skip beat. I didn't that she could smile so pretty, and her eyes tells a so many thoughts that I wanted to hear.

Barbara wasn't that pretty; she's average, that's for sure. She is a bit chubby, but she doesn't seem to mind as she always carries herself like as long, she did her job that is all she had to prove. When I find her interesting, I try to send her gifts to start to pursue her, but she seems always misunderstood that it was meant to the other person because there are two Hanson in the office. Marie Lein Hanson and Barbara Hanson. And I can't say that I am the one who sent the gift because I'm not prepared yet to reveal myself. I got so much to handle in the company first and it is my first time to court someone. Other than that, someone else branded me as a playboy since I handle the job interview and many women, ehem, fawn over me.

But my eyes fixed on Barbara alone. I can't help it because she fascinates me beyond beliefs. For a person who grows up in love she's the person I know who didn't love others, maybe she receives so much that she doesn't need other than people whom her heart knows. I envy her and at same time I felt jealous of those people because her heart is faithful, she devoted herself to them.

The day I managed to prove myself, I can finally let go of the feelings of wanting to be loved by the father that I know will never accept me but now I have another goal. I want to be the person who can occupy her heart, even it is not the first as long as my name is in the list its fine with me. I want to call her by the nickname her close friends call her. Bobby, I like you. Do you still remember me? I ready myself to do the best I can, but I didn't see her that day.

"Ms. Marie, where is Ms. Hanson?" I asked the Junior Staff.

"Good morning Mr. Walker. I'm sorry but Ms. Hanson can't make it to work anymore. I just received a call from her home today. They said that Ms. Hanson is in the hospital and in critical condition because of the gunshot from shot fire yesterday in their neighborhood."

I froze to my position. I don't remember when I was able to go back to my office but all I remember is that I kept murmuring. "No, this can't be happening. This isn't happening."