Captain Pete "Maverick" Mitchell

Emma and Jade hurried into the classroom. Jade had her green uniform on with all her patches, her medium-length black hair was tightly pressed into a bun at the nape of her neck, and her brown eyes hiding behind a pair of aviators - that she put on the top of her head upon arriving in the room. She sat alone in the front of the classroom, there was no reason Emma had to previously rush Jade out of the locker room, they were still a few minutes early. Emma had sat with her RIO, Jack Petershaw who is also known as Parrot. Once the entire class was there, Admiral Beau "Cyclone" Simpson, or simply Admiral Simpson introduced the class to their instructor and his RIO. The admiral took a deep breath and announced who the instructor would be. Jade was confused about who it was, considering the admiral's look of disapproval.

"Top Gun class of 2020, I hope your first few weeks of adjustment to the base went well. However, it is now time to get to work. Despite extreme amounts of disagreement, to honor our late Admiral Kanazsky or 'Iceman',  your instructor will be returning to Top Gun again this year to teach a full class instead of a mission. I present - second in his Top Gun class, only second to previous Admiral Tom Kanazsky - " Jade's eyes widened in shock. She suddenly felt a flow of many emotions throughout herself. She was prepared to deal with the feedback of her classmates when they found out about the relationship between her and the infamous pilot, but she was in no way shape, or form prepared for him to be her instructor. She wondered if he would spot the connection in their last names, or simply brush it off. They were in different age groups of pilots after all. The new pilots and the older ones don't tend to talk outside their own circles much. Jade remembered to remain calm, for she didn't know how much he knew about her. Hell, she really didn't know if her classmates already knew of the correlation. The admiral continued, "Captian Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell, and his RIO Lieutenant Bradley 'Rooster' Bradshaw"

Jade held her breath as the two now stood at the front of the room, the admiral had exited, and now there was silence. Jade wanted so badly to speak out to say something. She had recognized Bradley as soon as she stepped foot on base, walking off of the plane. Last time she checked, he wasn't in agreement with Maverick. That was a long time ago however. Jade remembered when her mother would go see Admiral Kazansky when she was a child, Bradley and his mother would be there. Although Bradley was a few years older than her they got along great. The last time the two had talked was when Bradley wrote to Jade that he had graduated top of his class at Top Gun. The fact that Bradshaw of all people would agree to become a RIO even for the short term was surprising, not to mention that he couldn't have chosen a worse pilot. Rooster's father had literally died in the hands of that pilot.

"Hello, Class, as Admiral Simpson stated already. I am Captain Mitchell, but you can just call me Maverick. This is my RIO Lieutenant Bradshaw, or simply Rooster." Maverick got cut off though.

"What I want to know sir, is how Rooster came to become your call sign?!" A man in the back laughed.

"Alright introduce yourself then pilot," Maverick replied.

 "Can do! Norman 'Stealer' Ray" The man propped his feet up on the desk in front of him.

Rooster simply laughed promising to explain it during downtime. Jade had to butt in, it was in her nature, "And what I want to know Bradshaw. Is how you can stand next to that man, let alone fly with him." Jade sneered.

There seemed to be confusion rolling around in the class, Jade realized that this group might not fully know the history of their instructor, and most definitely not her.

Rooster was taken aback and slightly angry from this, "Excuse me, and why would you question that?" Rooster asked as he turned to face Jade. Jade could see that he had recognized who she was, he had an easy face to read. (Even with that caterpillar covering his upper lip.) 

 Maverick interjected, "Might as well introduce yourself as well," he sighed. 

Jade chuckled, " Lieutenant Jade Mitchell, Call Sign: Renegade. And I'll repeat my question, How can you stand next to that man, let alone fly with him?! Last time I checked Bradshaws flying with Maverick didn't turn out too well."

Bradley nodded, "I understand what you're trying to say. Might as well enlighten the rest of the class," he recognized the pain behind Jade's eyes. He also saw what he thought might have been a hint of betrayal, "Come on, let it out. Better to get this over with on the ground." 

Jade stood up, " how can you agree to be a RIO with a man who killed his previous one -" Oooh's and gasps erupted from the classroom cutting off Jade's response, " I wasn't finished guys there's more" the class went into silence, "That RIO in question being Lieutenant Nick Bradshaw, Rooster's father," The class completely erupted into gasps and oohs.

Bradley took a deep breath went to open his mouth and rethought his answer, "Honestly it takes a lot of Alcohol to deal with Mav on a regular basis." This made the entire class laugh and soon the entire topic Jade brought up was forgotten - Jade returned to her seat. Everyone introduced themselves and talked about how they came to become fighter pilots. When Jade was asked why she joined she laughed, "No other option. Runs in the family" She didn't elaborate, but it made everyone in the room curious.

Maverick clapped his hands together, "Alright we've been inside long enough. See these textbooks, do me a favor, and chuck them across the room as hard as you can. Go get in your flight gear and meet me outside. We're gonna have a good old fashioned Dogfight" 

 We're gonna have a good old fashioned Dogfight"