Clear for Take Off

Pete looked around the room, there were so many eyes on him. He let out a defeated sigh. Jade was shocked, 'There was no way Beau didn't invite him back! Unless one of us didn't pass - which I know for sure did not happen' Jade thought. 

But then Pete smiled, "Yes, yes I was!" 

Jade was absolutely elated as she quickly ran to embrace her father, "Congratulations!". 

Every pilot then embraced Pete. He quickly cleared them out by shooing them away - "Alright guys get off, let's see if we can get another win today. Jade, you ready to go to the doctor?"

Jade gulped nervously and nodded. Following her father out to his motorcycle, since they were going to the doctor he made sure they both wore helmets this time - not to mention Penny was getting on him about wearing one all of the time. 

On the drive to the doctor's, Jade was so nervous. She hated doctors - especially since she was nervous about all possible outcomes. If she was told she could fly again, would she be okay once she got up there? If she was told she couldn't, what would happen in a few months when she was needed in this "Doom" mission? It didn't matter what came from this - all outcomes had Jade well, rattled. 

What if she graduated Top of her class at Top Gun - but was grounded permanently after? 

Once at the doctor's office, her nerves seemed to skyrocket as she sat in the exam room alone. Her knee bounced uncontrollably. She scoffed at herself, 'I am one of the greatest pilots in the world - my nerves should be as tough as steel!'.  Not to mention that the MRI scan (done upon her arrival) did not help her nerves as she lay in the darkness with nothing but her own thoughts.

The doctor walked in, holding a few MRI scans - "Well the swelling seems to have gone down. Everything looks normal - alright a seemingly simple test now. I know - but it actually can tell a lot. I am going to say five things and I want you to repeat them back to me, understand?" Jade nodded and the doctor continued, "Red truck, blue bike, large ape, tiny man, and purple elephant." 

Jade took a moment, "Red truck... Blue bike .... large ape, tiny man.... and purple elephant." She was confused by the exercise itself - it seemed simple enough.

The doctor smiled, "Don't worry - just testing your memory is all - you'd be surprised how many people can't do that. Anyway - Jade, Renegade if I may - you're clear for take off." 

Jade still had a frown on her face, "Uhm thank you." she sighed. 

The doctor questioned Jade, "Unless... you feel you need another week to get back on your feet?" 

Jade shook her head, "Nah, I'm just nervous about - getting back up in the air is all..." 

"Are you afraid to get in a jet again?" The doctor asked. 

Jade shrugged, "I - I don't know... I don't know if it's fear of getting back up there or fear of not being able to fly like I once could." 

The doctor sighed, "I know your fear, I see this in many patients across the board actually." 

Jade raised her eyebrow to question the statement. The doctor continued trying to clear up that confusion, "Seriously - a horse rider gets bucked off. They're not afraid of the horse - they love the horse or the craft, the thrill if you will. They've always known they belonged there. However, the fear of not being as great as they used to be - holds them back. But whenever I check up on them - they always say the same thing, they were just fine if not better than they once were" 

Jade for the first time smiled, "That's really reassuring to hear - thanks Doc. But - It's true, I really can be up in the air again?" She was more excited this time. The doctor nodded, and Jade shook his hand calmly walking to the waiting room.