Doom Squad

A/N: Mentions of some mature content are included in this chapter.

It was nine hours until the Doom Mission began to be put into action. They weren't allowed to drink this close to the mission - or else all the pilots would be at the bar fancily dressed in their dress whites.

Instead, they were all silent on North Island - some slept, some wept... It was the same in the Benjamin household. Amelia was even silent as she packed her bags - Penny and Amelia would be leaving in a few hours to stay safe they were flying to visit some family on the east coast.

Jade and Bradley lay in his bed that night, holding onto each other after some wild pre-mission sex. They lay there in silence as they held onto each other tightly.

"Mav and I fly out at three, will you be there to see us off?" Bradley whispered.

"Of course," Jade felt a tear slip down her face, "I won't be missing the possible last time I see my father and boyfriend." Her breath caught in her throat.

"It won't be the last time," He squeezed Jade closer to him, "Don't even think about that"

"It's hard not to Bradley," She buried her face into the crook of his neck, "Just promise me to be careful"

Bradley hid his face in her neck as well, "As long as you do the same, I promise. I don't even want you to have to get in the air tomorrow"

Jade's breath stutters, "I hope I don't have to go up either. The poor families here..."

"Sush, it'll be okay. Just, let's get some sleep while we can, okay?" Bradley kissed the top of her head.

"Yeah," Jade mumbled, "I love you Bradley, I really do."

"I love you too" Bradley held her impossibly closer.

There was a knock at the door then, Bradley made sure they had the covers pulled up over them enough before calling, "Come in"

It was Pete, "Hey kids, just wanted to let you know - one am, everyone is planning on breakfast at the bar. Penny got some things delivered for everyone a few hours ago. Good to have food in your system. So get some sleep and I'll see you in a few"

"Thank you Pops," Jade, with tears still evident in her voice, called to him before he shut the door.

"Of course Sweetheart, get some sleep, okay? I love you both" Pete smiled, he didn't know what he would do if he lost her. He had only just found her, it wasn't fair to either of them if one of them died. But life wasn't fair...

"Okay, Pops. Love you too" Jade smiled.

"Night Uncle Mav, love you too" Bradley yawned.

Pete shut the door and went to lie down - Penny had just left to go to the airport. The three of them got a few hours of sleep.

The three squadrons were now at the bar. Penny had gotten many things - cereal, muffins, ingredients for Acai bowls (Jade knew Penny had done that simply for her), etc. Even if Penny refused to admit it, she loved being the honorary Pilot Mom on North Island.

The groups of pilots sat in silence, Jade noticed how close Natasha and Jake sat. Jade and Bradley sat just as close beside the couple.

"Congrats you guys," Jade forces a smile, "Don't hide it - we all know"

"Thanks," Natasha also forced a smile, before leaning in to whisper to Jade, "How are we not crying right now?"

Jade whispered back, "No clue, I feel numb"