TAV 15: I'm Home

CHAPTER FIFTEEN : I'm Home

Omniscient | 3rd POV

Clarinette could not speak after hearing him say her past name. She looked at him with glistering confusion, parted lips for the words that could sound provoking already left unspoken, and as she shivered with the thought that he already knew, Clarinette was left out to submit.

Hindi maintindihan ni Clarinette ang titig ng binata sa kanya. His eyes look through her without disappointment, but unwavering truth. They stared in that way for two more minutes, trying to communicate with their eyes, conveying the unspoken words.

Clarinette snapped and cleared her throat. Inayos nito ang magulong buhok dahil sa dumaan na hangin. "Since when did you know?"

"The second time I saw you," he quickly answered.

She was left astounded, again. Kung ganoon naman pala katagal nitong alam ang pagkatao niya, ibig sabihin lamang ay pinaglalaruan siya ni Valan.

She was careful not to be obvious of who she was, but hearing his concise answer, Clarinette felt a little anguish.

"So, you've been lying to me?" she uttered.

"Not much like your lie," he countered.

Clarinette scoff. "You're a two-face person. Tingnan mo ngayon, malayong-malayo ang asal mo sa taong kilala ko. Namimilosopo ka pa!"

"I could admit I was hurt," anito.

Natigilan si Clarinette sa mga masamang iniisip nito dahil sa sinabi ng kaharap niya. Her left eyebrow raised looking at Valan, but later she took a step back.

She couldn't speak her intent, which left Valan to confess.

"When I first saw you in the center, I was captivated by how you dressed. Sino ba kasi ang magsu-suot ng balabal sa gitna ng mainit na araw?" tumawa ang binata ng mahina bago sinundan ang sinabi niya, "I don't want to sound like I was desperate, but ever since we've met again, I really wished you were not the Duchess."

"V-Valan..."

"I know," he quickly responded. "I shouldn't, but I can't help myself to wish for your presence. Sinadya kong makita ka, tuwing namamataan ko ang sasakyan na ginagamit mo, lagi kong hinihiling na ikaw ang lalabas sa pintuan."

"Valan...I'm married, please," She said.

Her heart is tearing apart. Pinaka-ayaw ni Clarinette sa buong buhay niya ay saktan ang mga tao dahil sa mga desisyon nito. She doesn't want to become a burden, so sometimes she wants to stop it from inflicting too much damage.

"That is why I sometimes found myself being unreasonable." Valan took a step closer to Clarinette, but she moved backwards twice. "Liana, the Duke has no feelings for you, why settle in his dukedom?"

"I refuse to answer that question, Valan."

Clarinette started to feel uncomfortable with Valan's stare. It looks dangerous and unfamiliar. Sometimes, Clarinette does wander what is going inside the mind of the Duke, but she's far from assuming the right answer.

"I don't understand, Liana. If you don't want to, why would you talk to other men as if you're not married?"

Konti na lang, mauubos na ang pasensya ni Clarinette. Nasa isip nito na gusto niyang murahin lahat ng taong tingin sa kanya ay nakikipag-landian sa ibang lalaki kahit may asawa siya.

"I talked to you because you're a Knight Commander. Of course, it is natural for a Duchess to accommodate the one who's protecting the State on behalf of her husband."