SS Reminiscent Encounter

I started walking towards the first-year dormitories for another day of work. It was a new school year, so over the last few days, I've seen lots of new faces. Ah, the beauty of youth.

Yet, in this school, the almost blinding smiles of these children will soon disappear. I observed that there were even more spendthrifts this year, bringing tons of consumables back to the dorms every day. Honestly, I've never seen such reckless students in all the time I've been working here, even though the previous Class D's were also pretty bad.

It was 5:30 A.M when I arrived at the dorms, 30 minutes before I needed to arrive. I sat behind the dorm receptionist's table, pulled out the table cabinet, and grabbed my hair comb. I started styling my long pixie bob haircut and swept my side bangs backward.

I opened the side monitors on the table and grabbed a box of strawberry Pocky from the other table cabinet. The dorm lobby was pretty quiet, so I brought out my laptop and played some relaxing coffee shop jazz music. Pretty ironic since I don't drink coffee.

I looked at the news on my laptop while occasionally looking over at the side monitors to see if any students have woken up. After browsing some boring politics, I opened up Wikipedia, and as a prestigious editor, added some finishing touches to Queen Elizabeth II's page.

Over the last two days, editors constantly changed this page due to her surprising death. Lots of people made spelling mistakes, and grammar errors, and there were even some trolls writing about a conspiracy theory that the Queen faked her death because she's supposed to be 'immortal.' Even though these mistakes were annoying for me to fix, I enjoyed this kind of relaxing life.

This relaxing life was what was missing three years ago. Constantly working every day and not having time for anything else was quite draining. That's why I quit being a lawyer and worked at this school instead, where I bask in the presence of youth every day. I felt like I was retired, even though I'm only in my 30's.

However, this image of relaxation was soon broken by the boy that entered the dorm lobby. He went down the emergency stairs instead of the elevator, so I didn't spot him on the monitors.

"Heading to school?" I asked, even though I knew that wasn't his purpose due to his lack of baggage. Or maybe he's one of those minimalists who has everything he needs in his school locker. Every student had a different lifestyle, and it was interesting to observe them.

"Nobody heads to school this early in the morning," he responded. "I just have some business with you, Seno Yumi."

Was he a delinquent? He has no respect for me. Or maybe he simply doesn't use honorifics with anyone. My experiences as a lawyer have taught me that you can never judge a book by its cover. I judge a book with every perspective there is, grounded in reason and logic.

"And what kind of business do you have?" I sighed. I hope it's not some sort of leakage that I have to deal with.

"It's about the fraud you committed three and a half years ago," he sneered.

How the hell does a student even get this information? The only people that know my past here are the chairman, the principal, and the government officials that work here. There's no way any of them revealed my information to a student though.

"I'm a dorm receptionist. What fraud have I ever committed?" I probed him to see how much he knew.

"Hmm, let's see. You worked together with some lawyer to scam a bunch of money out of a clueless citizen that tried to sue someone. No progress was ever made in the court, and you were that clueless guy's lawyer. You kept 80% of the money he paid you, while you gave 20% of the money to the defendant's side to act stupid so you could prolong the whole affair and earn more money. Correct?"

". . .What?" I kept acting like I didn't know anything, even though he got everything down to the last detail. Keeping up your lie to the end can often make the other side doubt themselves and back down.

Although, this student did remind me of one of my defendants. Straight-forward makes his point clear and forms clear arguments. Even though I was probably about to get blackmailed, I can't help but reminisce about the events that happened that day. I'm pretty sure the defendant was called Matsuo, and the one that was against him was a man named Ayanokouji.

"You know what I'm talking about. Even though it's not related to my case, I do know you."

"I can't recall meeting you though?"

"Fair enough, it was Matsuo who told me about you after all."

Could he be. . .? They do look similar. . .

"My name is Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, and you're going to protect me at this school."

A/N

865 words

The plot unravels, only with more mysteries popping up! How exciting.

Next three side stories should come out this week. If not, you can come and slap me to remind me.

By the way, do you take cold showers?