Chapter 12-Special Exam Time

"Shut the fuck up."

Most of the students wanted to run off onto the sandy beach. Soon enough, a tall teacher stepped onto a prepared white platform. It was Mashima-sensei, Class A's homeroom teacher. He normally taught English, and was well-known for having a stubborn disposition. At first glance, he could easily be mistaken for one of those bodybuilder types. He was built like a professional wrestler, but was actually quite intelligent. He'd even taught special courses in the past.

"First, I would like to say that I'm happy you've arrived safely. However, it's unfortunate that one of you was unable to participate due to illness."

"Oh wow, someone couldn't come on the trip because he was sick? Poor guy," said Ike quietly, so the teachers wouldn't hear. Imagine getting sick though, sounds like a health issue. Good thing we're not in America.

"Not as poor as the ones that were expelled though."

"Yeah, you're definitely right about that."

While Mashima-sensei surveyed us in silence, school personnel in uniforms started setting up some kind of special tent nearby. I suppose they were going to monitor us pretty closely during this special exam. A computer and other equipment lied on a long table, making it seem like a formal business setup. This setup contrasted greatly from our natural environment, which seemed to make a few students quite anxious.

"Hey, do you see all that fancy shmancy stuff over there? I wonder what they're for. . ."

"Probably just in case some student hurts themselves, the teachers can come help us just in time."

"Man, this school is way too rich, sometimes I question what the hell the government is doing."

"Shh, you don't want to get sent to a concentration camp now, do you?"

"Chill bro we're on a private island in Japan, what could go wrong?"

"I feel like you just jinxed something."

"Well then. We shall commence the current academic year's first special test," announced Mashima-sensei. It was as if he waited for the atmosphere to change.

"You see? Now we have to do some bullshit test because of you."

"Oh c'mon man, not my fault!"

"Special test? What do you mean?"

Students started questioning Mashima-sensei, perplexed by his words. After all, everybody expected a nice, summer vacation, not a special exam. With just a sentence, classes plummeted from relaxation into stark tension.

"The test commences now and lasts for one week, concluding on August 7th at the year's end. This test will determine if you can live on a deserted island together as a group. In addition, I should warn you that this special test is both practical and realistic, designed based on real-world corporate training."

"Living on a deserted island. Does that mean we're not staying on the boat, but the island?"

Some students from Class B and C voiced their obvious concerns.

"You are correct. During the test, you will not be allowed to board the ship without a suitably justifiable reason. It will be necessary for you to fend for yourselves on this island while you are here, from creating a place to sleep to preparing food to eat. Once the test starts, each class will receive two tents, and two flashlights. You will be provided with one box of matches. There is no limit to the amount of sunscreen you can have. Each student will be provided with one toothbrush. As a special case, girls will be allowed to have as many feminine sanitary products as they'd like, without any restrictions. Please ask your respective homeroom teachers for those. That is all."