P1 - Chapter One

September 1st, 2020:

My palms and fingers hurt from squeezing on the strap of my backpack. My jaw was clenched and my leg was bouncing.

I heard the loud conversations going on around me. Everybody was excited to be seeing their friends or to just be going to school. A huge grin was plastered on some girl's face as she and her friend talked nonstop, informing each other of their crazy summers.

To say my summer was crazy was an understatement.

First and foremost, my parents divorced two months ago in July.

Sure, they fought pretty often, but I wasn't aware it was that bad until they both sat me down on my bed and explained to me the situation. And as anyone would, I broke down crying. They proceeded to ask me who I'd like to live with, and I couldn't answer.

So, we created this system.

We would take turns. I would be at my mom's house the first week, and then my dad's the second, and so on. I love them both equally, but it's hard to get Mom to join Dad and me when we'd go out for some of my school events.

They hate each other to bits. Despise, even.

And I have to carry that.

The bus came to a sudden halt in front of Jade High. Kids immediately stood up and stampeded their way out of the bus, desperate to go back to high school. There were only three other kids who looked as glum as I felt to go back to school.

I was starting my senior year that year, and that was not even the reason why I was so freaked out.

Socialization.

I stood up after everyone was off the bus and made my way out. There was a huge crowd of people outside of the school, but the noise was what scared me the most.

It reminded me of Mom and Dad's fights.

Teachers in bright colors pushed open the double doors and the kids bombarded in. Tremendous smiles were glued onto the faces of counselors, principals, teachers, and every single student.

Almost.

I was one of the last ones to enter, and when I did, I immediately grabbed the welcome paper that was being passed out by a girl with long, brown hair. She had rainbow highlights on the very tips of her hair and was beaming so bright I needed to squint to look at her.

"Welcome to Jade High!" She greeted me, as she did the other students. "I'm Kinkajou! Nice to meet you all! Welcome to Jade High! I'm Kinkajou! Nice to meet you all!"

And so on.

And so on.

Repeatedly.

As I walked past a trashcan, I crumpled it up and tossed it in, not bothering to read it. I immediately went to my memorized locker number, 175, and stared at the rotary combination lock.

31-12-21.

The locker popped open as I entered the combination. To my surprise, the inside of the locker was surprisingly clean. I slid my backpack off and started unpacking my things.

"Hey."

My head snapped up as I turned to a boy somewhere my age, maybe older, smiling at me. I immediately wondered why he was talking to me before realizing he had the locker right next to mine.

Fantastic.

He had dark blonde hair, almost yellow, and had freckles scattering across his face. He gave me a rather toothy grin, forcing the corner of my lips to curl upward in a small smile.

"Hi."

He then started unpacking his things as he started a conversation I would rather not have. "That's a face I've never seen. Were you here last year?"

"No," I whispered as I stacked my books on the top shelf. "I transferred over the summer."

He nodded. "Ah. What school did you previously go to?"

I bit my lip, my nerves getting the best of me. "Copper High."

"Oh. Our competition," he said with a nod. "That's cool. How come you left? I hear it's a great place."

I flipped through one of my cooking books, wondering if I ordered the right one. "The place is great. The people aren't." I gave a short, simple answer that told the whole story as to why I left. No detail necessary.

The boy glanced at me. "Oh. I'm sorry to hear that." I shut my locker after putting my cooking book back. I backed away, getting ready to get to homeroom.

"Trust me, though," he continued. "This place isn't the only nice thing. Most of the company is, too." He gave me a welcoming smile. I smiled back and nodded.

"Nice to know," I said. He hesitated before adding,

"Just avoid anyone with red hair."

I nodded and started walking down the hallway when he called out to me again.

"Hey. I didn't catch your name."

I hesitated, wondering if I should provide this stranger with so much as my name. I mean, who knows? He could be a serial killer in disguise.

"Moon," I said with a smile, hoping I wouldn't regret it. He grinned at me.

"Qibli. Nice to meet you." He slammed his locker shut. "Catch you later?" He asked as he started walking backward in the opposite direction.

I nodded and he smiled, righting himself.

A swarm of kids swallowed him whole, indicating he was pretty popular in the previous years. Girls swarmed around him, half of them drooling. I rolled my eyes but smiled as Qibli awkwardly greeted all of them, trying to get past them without being rude.

I finally turned around and headed for my homeroom.

"*"

"Move it."

I looked up at a boy with pale blonde hair who was busy staring me down. He had a frown etched on every corner of his face. Unlike Qibli, this guy was never at ease.

I could tell from his posture and the hint of tiredness in his eyes. His jaw was clenched and by the way the girls were practically checking him out, it was clear he was also popular.

Which means I was messing with the wrong guy.

"What?" I asked, confused at why he was asking me to move.

"Everybody knows I sit there," he said in a low voice. "So get up and find somewhere else to sit."

I stared at him in disbelief, shocked at the way he could just talk to someone with such rudeness without a care in the world.

"I'm sorry?" I asked.

"Did I stutter, bitch?" He snapped, using a hand to shoo me away. "Get off my seat."

I narrowed my eyes. "I don't see your name on it," I retorted, treating him with the same amount of respect he was treating me. "There are, like, twenty other open seats. Go ahead and sit on one of those."

It was clear he wanted to end my whole existence right then and there, but I couldn't care less.

"Never start a fight, but sweetheart, you can always finish one," Mom used to tell me.

That's just how she raised me.

"Alright, everyone, please take a seat," the teacher said as he entered the room. All the standing people quickly took a seat, excited to get the day going. The rude boy sent me one last glare before walking off. "All of you know me as your science teacher, Mr. Mastermind. I will be teaching you how to create formulas and all the jazz, but for today, let's get to know each other and talk about our summers."

I'll pass, thanks.

Mine isn't worth sharing anyway.

And I'll probably break down if I even think about trying.

<3