P1 - Chapter Two

September 15th, 2020:

It's been a few weeks since school started, and to be honest, it hasn't been too awful. Sure, I've gotten a few dirty looks from that rude guy, whose name I soon found out was Winter, but overall, not too bad.

"So, you seem to like the new place," Secretkeeper said as she laid down my breakfast on the table in front of me. She walked over to the kitchen counter and grabbed the cup of chocolate milk before also sliding it down in front of me.

Yes, waffles with chocolate milk.

"It's definitely better than Copper High," I said with a shrug. "There's this guy who's always super chill and nice to me."

"That's good." Secretkeeper then proceeded to stare at me with raised eyebrows for a moment right as I was about to take a bite out of my waffles.

"What?"

"Nothing," she said as she walked away and into the bathroom. "Hurry, now. You have less than 15 minutes before you miss your bus."

"I'd rather have you drop me off," I said, drinking some of the chocolate milk.

I was at my mom's house this week, and to be honest, I kind of liked it better than my dad's house. Don't get me wrong, I love him and all, but his house has way too many rules. I must fix my bed every morning, brush my hair, eat three healthy meals–just no.

"Well, in that case," Mom said, coming out of the bathroom while applying foundation to her face. "You have plenty of time."

"*"

"Why don't you come to sit with us instead of sitting alone every day?" Qibli asked me as he was passing to get to his table. "Kinkajou would adore a new girl friend."

I glanced at his table and noticed who he was talking about: the girl who was passing out welcome papers on the first day of school. She's a student here? I also noticed the rude guy, Winter, with his hoodie on and was busy scrolling on his phone.

I hesitated before saying, "Uh, Winter's your friend?"

Qibli glanced at Winter before turning to me with an apologetic smile. "Ah. Uh, yeah, we're pretty close. Was he rude to you? If so, I'm sorry. He's just... like that. But don't worry, he gets better the more you get to know him."

"I highly doubt that," I muttered and Qibli gave me a toothy grin. I guess if I wanted to make friends, I should probably at least try to. "But I'll join you guys–just to test out your theory."

"Awesome."

I smiled. "Awesome."

I followed Qibli over to his table, trying not to let my nerves get the better of me. Qibli plopped down next to Winter and I sat across him, next to the girl, Kinkajou. Winter glanced at me and then back at his phone before quickly looking back up at me, making sure he wasn't seeing things.

"You," he said coldly.

"Oh my God," Kinkajou said, her eyes widening. "Qibli is she your friend? Are you his friend?" She looked extremely excited to see me as if she'd just had a miracle.

I shrugged and she immediately threw her arms around me in a tight hug. "Gosh, I was getting so tired of just boys!"

"Offended," a boy with long, green hair said before sending me a welcoming smile. "If Kinkajou likes you, I guess you're a part of the friend group now."

"Whatever that is," I muttered before waving my hands in the direction of a table full of girls gawking at Qibli. "Also, Qibli's always crowded by girls. Why are you excited seeing me?"