P4 - Chapter Thirty-two

February 25th, 2021:

I feel lost. The one thing I know how to do right is study. So that's what I've been doing, and I'm pretty sure my grades are improving. Orchid said I should try talking to Qibli or one of my friends, but I didn't. I don't want to be a bother. For what it's worth, Orchid does help.

"*"

We were all on Qibli's sofa, including a new member, Lynx. She seemed suspiciously close to Winter, and Kinkajou and Qibli pretty much spent the whole night whispering to each other theories about them.

"I think we should watch a movie," Kinkajou suddenly said as she walked back into the living room with a bowl of popcorn. She set it on the table before us, grinning from ear to ear. Based on Qibli's smug expression, it was clear he was in on whatever scheme Kinkajou was plotting next. "But in couples!"

"What?" Winter asked, slightly frowning as Lynx nervously laughed.

"Basically," Qibli elaborated, "what I think she means is that we should pair up. You know, with our other half." He reached over and tugged me closer to him. "But since you don't actually have a girlfriend, I suppose you could chill with Lynx."

"Supposedly," Kinkajou agreed, plopping down beside Turtle, who was hiding a smile. Winter shot all three of them a deadly glare that Lynx so happened to miss.

"Or we could just watch a movie," Winter suggested, narrowing his eyes on Qibli. "You know, like normal people."

"Are we really normal, though?" Turtle questioned reasonably.

"Was thinking the same thing," Qibli said, transferring his grin to Turtle, who grinned back. "What do you think, Moon?" He nudged me and I shrugged in response. Talking didn't really amuse me nowadays.

"Well, what movie?" Lynx asked when she managed to form words without blushing. "Horror?"

"I vote romance," Kinkajou announced.

"Horror," Winter said, leaning back against the sofa. "Something gorey."

"Romance," Qibli voted, making Kinkajou grin.

"Horror," Turtle opposed. "Looks like horror movie it is."

"Hang on," Lynx said. "Moon didn't vote. I don't think that's fair." Everyone transferred their gazes to me. "Moon, what do you think?"

"You guys can go ahead," I said, standing up. "I don't want to watch a movie. Besides, I've procrastinated long enough on my homework. I'll be in Qibli's room if you need me." I paused. "And by 'need', I mean someone's-dying need me."

I turned and walked upstairs intending to head straight to Qibli's room, but the universe had different plans.

"Hey," Deathbringer said, sliding in front of me, stopping me in my tracks. I blinked at him.

"Hi," I said before taking a step forward to walk around him. He stopped me once again.

"You up for ice cream?"

"*"

Snow whirled in the air and drifted to the ground. The snow was pretty deep and it felt like it was freezing. Of course, vanilla ice cream did not help at all, but it did taste pretty good.

"This might just have been your smartest idea yet," I joked as we stood by a snow-covered tree. We were in heavy jackets and Deathbringer had given me his beanie.

"You should know," Deathbringer said, "you might get sick from this."

I shrugged. "I will have been worth it." Deathbringer chuckled, slightly shaking his head, I licked my ice cream before glancing up at Deathbringer.