P1 - Chapter Six

September 26th, 2020:

It has been a few days since my realization, but I've been pretty good at hiding it. I went to school, dealt with Deathbringer, and even managed with my parents. Everything had been going great until news broke out.

The dance was canceled because of complications and the fact many students wanted to go Trick-or-Treating on the 30th.

Chaos.

I encountered at least three girls having mental breakdowns, and that was just to get to Science class.

People were freaking out at that point.

"Have you seen the amount of chaos I so happen to walk in on?" I asked with an exasperated tone as I was at my locker with Qibli, his locker next to mine.

"Tell me about it," Qibli agreed. "It's been like this ever since they canceled the dance. You should see Kinkajou." I shrugged.

"Well, I guess this was their last chance to impress their crushes, so I can see where they're coming from," I said thoughtfully. "But, seriously. I wouldn't want a whole Public Proposal just for the dance to be canceled. That's why I prefer things simple."

Qibli shrugged. "I'm not a fan of publicity, either."

I scoffed. "Puh-lease," I said with a laugh. "You're not a fan of publicity? You're literally the most popular guy in our grade."

"It's not like I enjoy it," he said with a wave of his hand. "But I've gotten used to it. I am irresistible, remember?" He said that part jokingly, and I giggled.

"Can't disagree," I said with a smile, before realizing what I'd said. "D—um."

"I could say the same," he said with a smile.

Ugh, that smile.

"You're, like, one of the closest friends I've ever had, other than Winter," Qibli said. "I think he's secretly in love with me."

I laughed at that, but it was a forced laugh. Did he just friendzone me? I started freaking out as my laughter became more strained. Qibli furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "Are you okay?" He asked, reaching toward me, but I quickly stepped back.

This is exactly what happened at my last school. I had a crush on a guy and thought he felt the same towards me. He'd smile and laugh at everything I said and would even give me hugs that felt like a 'more-than-friends' hug. And then I got too confident, confessed my feelings, and he laughed in my face before humiliating me in front of the whole school.

That's mostly why I hated attention.

Don't worry, there are other reasons.

"Moon?" Qibli asked.

"I gotta go," I quickly said, knowing Qibli could tell I looked panicky, but I didn't care. He opened his mouth and said something, but I couldn't hear him as the feeling of all that humiliation came whirling back to me. I backed up to run in the other direction, but Qibli grabbed my arm, already used to this shit and probably tired of it, too.

"Moon, what's going on?" He asked, tightening his grip on my arm when I tried to pull away. "You probably don't realize it, but you scare the shit out of me every time you just run off like that."

I stared at him, my heart pounding, knowing I was risking everything I currently had, including my only friends.

Autopilot activated.

I couldn't take the growing tension anymore and took a quick step forward, all while grabbing his face and making the gap between our lips nonexistent.

I barely kissed him, it being for a brief second, but I still quickly pulled away, wondering what the hell I was doing. He stared at me, his lips slightly parted. Neither of us moved as I nervously stood there.