P4 - Chapter Thirty-five

(Dog name credit goes to NeoQibliFan!     Thank you and enjoy the chapter!!)

February 26th, 2021:

Challenges. Every existing soul had challenges. We all have different ways of coping with them, but they were very much there. Thorn's crying. The strong, all-going, all-wonderful Thorn was crying, and I have no idea what to do.

"*"

I immediately crouched down beside her, concern and worry in my tone when I asked, "Thorn, what's wrong?" She looked over her shoulder at me, tears staining her face. She quickly wiped them away.

"I'm sorry," she apologized in a hurry. "I didn't know you guys were back already. I'm fine." She stood up, slightly sniffling, and I stood up after her.

"No, you're not," I said, gently taking her arm. "You're crying. Why?"

I had a few guesses why.

Afraid Qibli might leave her? Did Cobra threaten her? Is she stressed out?

Thorn sighed, circling the island in the kitchen and sitting beside it. "Moon, I... I don't know what to do. I've been trying to protect him these past years... but now I can't. I knew this would happen one day–that she'd get out and try to take him back. Now, look at him. I've never seen him as unresponsive as he is today. I've never seen him so... Now, I worry. Will he go with her? I'm not sure."

I searched her expression, looking for the right words for her. She was sad and needed something to rely on. "He'll stay with you because... Qibli doesn't need to try with you–you make everything easier and effortless." I gently smiled. "I'm glad he found you."

Thorn's lifted her gaze to look at me with recognition.

Yup. Your words. Exactly what you said to me when the news about my mother getting sick got out. What you said when I first moved in with you. What you said that made me feel a million times better. Your words.

"You gave him what Cobra never did," I continued, glancing out the kitchen as Qibli gently petted the puppy. "You're his real mom, Thorn. Qibli just hasn't realized it yet, and neither have you."

Thorn looked down at her hands, thinking about that.

"I can tell a lot is going through your mind right now, so I'll leave you alone." I stood up, reaching for a bottled water. "Call me if you need anything at all."

I turned to walk away, but Thorn quickly took my hand. "Moon. Thank you."

I smiled. "Anytime."

"*"

I walked back and handed Qibli the bottled water. The puppy had herself settled onto the couch, chewing on a pillow. Turtle sat down beside her, gently running his fingers through her fur.

"Any names?" he asked.

"Well, I was thinking maybe Daisy," Qibli said quietly, sitting on the other side of the puppy. Ostrich quickly followed him, trying to stay as close to the puppy as possible.

Winter snorted. "I'm surprised it isn't Sandy."

"That's... my other option."

"Of course it is."

"I like Daisy," Kinkajou offered before sitting down beside Qibli, placing the bucket of ice cream on the table in front of them. "So... is her name Daisy?"

"Yeah," Qibli said quietly, missing the eye roll Winter gave.

"So." I sat down beside Kinkajou, and Winter sat down beside Turtle. "How are you doing? Do you feel better?" Daisy leaped onto Qibli's lap, resting her front paws on his chest and wagging her tail, barking.