P3 - Chapter Thirty

December 31st, 2020 - January 1st, 2021:

I sat in the library, pretending to read a book when in reality I was off in my own little world.

Why had I said I didn't know? Why didn't I just accept Orchid's help? I really do need it. A part of me hesitated because of fear. I hated opening up to anyone I didn't trust, and for the moment, I didn't trust Orchid one bit. Sure, she was nice and considerate, but it was about more than just attitude.

Then again, I trust Qibli, and that's mostly because he's kind and considerate, too. So maybe it's just Orchid I don't trust. Maybe I'm still mad at her for telling Morrowseer? Speaking of which, I should really call him.

I sighed, settling back against the couch as Fjord walked in and sat down beside me. I didn't even bother looking at him. I had dealt with him for the past two days, and it felt like weeks. He was absolutely exhausting.

"What do you want?" I asked before he could even open his mouth to say anything. He chuckled, and I turned to face him with a tired glare. "I'm getting tired of this. I already told you that I'm not interested. What don't you understand?"

"I don't understand why you won't give us a chance," Fjord said with a shrug before grinning. "But I'll wait." He paused. "So, I hear you're dating that Qibli dude?"

"Mm-hm," I answered, nodding. "I am."

Fjord scoffed, settling back into the chair. "I mean, why him? He's so..."

"Perfect?" I tried, raising an expectant brow that dared him to argue with me.

He rested his arm on the head of the couch as he leaned back, sighing. "I mean, I see why you like him. He's good-looking and funny. Who wouldn't like someone like that?"

"His good looks are just a bonus," I said with a shrug as I skimmed through the book I was holding. "He's actually really kind, and I'd never leave him, so you shouldn't waste your time."

"Time spent with you will never be a waste," Fjord said, turning to stare at me. I scoffed, scooting away as I considered going to the girls' bathroom instead.

"Listen," Fjord said in a patient tone. "What about this: you let me take you out on one date to let me prove myself, and whatever your decision is, I'll agree with it completely."

"I'm good," I said, nodding respectfully at him. "Look, this was fun and all, but I'm going to go, so."

"Wait," Fjord quickly said, grabbing my wrist as I stood up. He stood up, too as I glared at him expectantly.

I pulled my wrist away. "What is it?"

"Might this change your mind?" Before I could even comprehend what he had said, he already has his hands on my waist and was already kissing me. I let out a muffled yelp against his lips as I tried pushing away, but his grip tightened.

When he finally did pull away, I slapped him.

"What the hell was that?" I demanded angrily as Fjord only smiled. "I said I wasn't interested, asshole."

He chuckled. "I'm into that. I'll see you at the New Year's dance?" He seemed so serious like he genuinely thought I was just playing hard to get. I had forgotten about the dance for a few hours before he brought it up. Kinkajou was talking about it nonstop the other day on FaceTime.

"I'm going but not with you," I snapped, brushing past him and out of the library.

"*"

"We're just waiting on Winter and Qibli now," Kinkajou said. People were all gathered in the school's garden for New Year's Eve. It was 11:25 PM and the music was already loud and proud. There was a timer on a large projectile against a wall in the garden and a crate of fireworks. People were dancing to the beat of the music as they drank fruit punch from a bowl.