P5 - Chapter Forty-three

May 6th, 2021:

"I'm going out," Qibli informed Thorn and me, taking his keys from the kitchen counter.

"Where?" Thorn and I asked simultaneously.

Qibli looked at us, letting Daisy fall from his arms. "Uh, out." Thorn and I exchanged a skeptical glance.

"That didn't answer my question," she finally said in a condescending tone, playing the mother card.

"I'm going to make amends," Qibli said vaguely, opening the front door as Daisy barked at him. I frowned.

Make amends with Sunset? My mind guessed. Does he...

I shook that thought.

"Be back before six," Thorn muttered, eyeing him. "I need you to help me with the nursery. And give me a back massage. And get milk while you're out."

Qibli waited for more. "Are you done?" he asked dubiously.

Thorn grinned.

"Trust me, I'll be back before four," he snorted, taking a step out. "Bye, Moon."

"Bye," I called out. "Don't be out long."

"I won't."

"*"

He didn't come back. It was four-thirty and he wasn't back.

"He's just taking a while than usual," Thorn assured me. "He'll be back any second now."

"*"

Six. It was six. I called him five times and texted him, but they were all left on delivered. Even Thorn tried getting in contact, but it was no use.

I called Turtle.

"Yes?" his voice came out, and it sounded like he was eating something.

"Have you seen Qibli?" I asked urgently. There was a pause on the line.

"No," Turtle responded. "Why?"

I sighed, getting a little stressed. "He went out at two. He said he'd be back by four, but he isn't. He's not picking up my calls or answering my texts. Even Thorn can't reach him."

"Maybe he's pulling a prank or something?" Turtle tried helpfully. "I'm not sure. I'll ask Kinkajou. For now, wait a little bit."

He was right. It could be a prank, like the one we had pulled on Kinkajou a couple of days ago.

I just need to wait.

"*"

It was ten.

Thorn stopped the nonchalant act and joined me in the panicking. No word from Qibli in the slightest.

Thorn called Smolder and everyone she could think of at the top of her head.

Even Deathbringer tried to help.

No one knew where he was.

Smolder was over at the house, trying to get Thorn to relax and to be optimistic.

"Do not tell me to relax!" Thorn said, in the midst of shouting at Smolder. "My son is out there and I don't know where! He's not replying to my texts or answering my calls! It is physically impossible to relax!"

"You're right," he quickly agreed. "I shouldn't have said that."

"I'm going to call the police to file a missing person's case," Thorn mumbled, sinking into her couch.