P2 - Chapter Sixteen

October 20th, 2020:

I was not in my usual happy mood today for two reasons. One, it was a Monday, and two, I just genuinely hated Mondays. Sure I got to see Qibli and my friends, but recently, school had been a little bit draining.

My mom worked nonstop so I hardly saw her at home, so that meant Deathbringer gets to annoy me any chance he got–or talk about Glory for an hour straight–same difference.

Kinkajou and I were at Cheer, and we had finished our routine that we were going to use against the other school's Cheer team. We both sat down on the bleachers, exhausted.

"Gosh, it's hot out for October," Kinkajou said as she gulped down some water from her water bottle.

I took a sip from mine. "Agreed. Also, did you hear the Halloween dance is back on?"

"Yes," Kinkajou said with a dreamy sigh. "It's a little weird how the school keeps calling it off, but this also happened freshman year, so it's not surprising. I'm just glad it's back up. Ooo, we could totally help decorate, don't you think?"

I thought about that for a moment before shrugging.

"Has Qibli asked you to it yet?" Kinkajou continued as she kicked her legs. Glory was on her phone as she let us take five.

"Not yet," I answered, shifting uncomfortably as the sun beat down on us. "I hope he does."

"Of course he will," Kinkajou said as if that was the most obvious thing ever. "I mean, he's your boyfriend, isn't he? He has to ask you."

"Has Turtle asked you?"

"He already did, silly," Kinkajou said. I immediately remembered how she had so publicly announced it to just about the whole grade.  "But this time, it's actually happening."

There was a moment of stillness as we sat there in silence, thinking hard about different things. Kinkajou hesitantly turned to me, not as bubbly as she usually would.

She ducked her head and lowered her voice. "Moon, are you still cutting yourself?"

Yes.

"No," I said, giving her a sweet smile. "Not anymore. And you don't need to worry about me, Kinkajou. I'm fine. I promise."

I most definitely was not fine, but fake it 'till you make it, right?

She held out her pinky finger. "Pinky promise?" I locked my pinky with hers and her shoulders immediately relaxed. "Okay. So, have you noticed how happy Anemone is now? Tamarin has a huge effect on her. Maybe because Tamarin kissed her on the cheek yesterday."

"Tamarin kissed Anemone?" I asked, trying to keep up with the conversation but in reality, I was slowly dazing off.

"*"

"Moon."

I turned around and my smile faded as Umber stood behind me, his jaw clenched as he glared at me. I started to walk away but he only grabbed my arm, holding me in place.

I tried shaking him off, but his grip only tightened. "What do you want?" I demanded, glowering right back at him.

"You should break up with Qibli," he said, totally serious.

"And you should stop being such a creep," I counteracted. "Oh, wait. I guess neither of us can do either one of those."

"I'm serious," he said, shaking my arm in an aggressive way. I tried to pull away again, but I couldn't pry myself from his grip. "He's not who you think he is. He used to kidnap people and kill–"