P4 - Chapter Forty

March 6th, 2021:

Sometimes it takes a Ferris wheel to bring you together and a job to tear you apart.

"*"

I tried to have a positive outlook on life. I cleaned, wrote, read, and baked.

I baked a lot.

I put on oven mittens and pulled out the tray of muffins I just baked. I turned around and nearly dropped them all, startled.

"Qibli," I said, letting out a relieved breath. "You scared me. Why do you walk so quietly?" I placed the tray of muffins on the counter to cool as Qibli scoffed a laugh.

"I called your name three times," he mused as he eyed my third batch of muffins. "More muffins?"

"Want one?" I offered, beckoning to the other two trays on the counter. "The ones I took out are still too hot, but these have been cooling for a while now."

"You never used to bake," Qibli pointed out. "What's changed?" I searched his face for a long moment.

"So, no muffin, then?" I turned around and reached for the fourth box of Muffin Mix to make another batch, but Qibli caught my wrist.

"No more muffins," Qibli said. "And we are all going out anyway."

"Who's 'we'?" I questioned skeptically.

"Our friends and me. Agree to come?" he asked. I squinted at him.

"And why should I?" I asked, just to be difficult.

"Please?" he wheedled. "Pretty please with cherries on top? I'll even add some sprinkles if you want."

"What about chocolate syrup?" I playfully asked, slightly grinning.

"Whatever you want," Qibli said, nodding. I pretended to think about it just to grow suspense.

"Fine." Before Qibli could even rejoice, I cut him off. "But first, answer me this: how come you never told me Winter's sister was Icicle?"

"Oh." Qibli scratched his head and nervously laughed. "Heh. Right, about that, I just—I... I didn't know what you'd think. I don't know. I should have told you. I'm sorry."

"It's fine," I slowly answered. "I just can't believe Winter has no idea what his sister did. You were just trying to protect him, I get it. It was thoughtful."

Qibli gently smiled, resting his hands on my waist.

"I love the way you care about others," I said, fixing his hair. "It's very charming." Qibli grinned at that.

"Oh, so you find me charming?" he teased.

"Who wouldn't?" I said instead of actually answering the question. Qibli hummed in amusement and gently pressed his lips onto mine. I laughed against his lips but kissed back, wrapping my arms around his neck.

Suddenly, someone cleared their throat from the entrance of the kitchen. I broke away from Qibli and looked over his shoulder to see Morrowseer sternly watching us.

Qibli followed my gaze and looked over his shoulder, freezing in place.

"I—uh." Qibli quickly pulled away from me, standing a good distance that he felt was necessary.

"Dad—" I started.

"I'm just... getting water," Morrowseer said, raising his hands. He walked past Qibli and me and grabbed a bottle of water from the counter.  On his way out, he cast Qibli a threatening glare, to which Qibli innocently waved back.