Seven

" Susan will be reassured when she sees prince Corin safe in our lodging

" Susan will be reassured when she sees prince Corin safe in our lodging. "

ONE YEAR AFTER THE WAR AGAINST ZARTAR, Olivia, Edmund and Susan set sail aboard the Splendour Hyaline to reach the place called Calormen.

Calormen was another kingdom near Narnia. Instead of being ruled by a king or queen, Calormen was ruled by a Tisroc. Narnia avoided as much contact as they could with Calormen, due to their old and traditional ways of living, which included the use of slaves. A few rumours also were heard in the streets that the people of Calormen kidnapped Narnians too, even though no concrete proof existed.

Olivia wasn't the biggest fan of Calormen. She didn't like their ruling system, but what could she do? Narnia couldn't interfere in Calormen's business, and there was no proof of crimes against Narnia.

But nevertheless, Susan, Edmund, and Olivia went to spend some time in Calormen. Peter and Lucy stayed behind on Narnia, but Olivia had no such option. Peter was forced to stay behind because he was now preparing for a raid on the giants of the north, who had earlier kidnapped Olivia, because they were out for trouble again.

A few weeks back, the Calormen ambassadors had come to stay at Cair Paravel. Soon enough, Prince Rabadash of Calormen came too, trying to court queen Susan. He stayed for seven days, and proposed for them to marry. Rabadash invited her to his kingdom, and Olivia and Edmund came along with the brunette Pevensie. Susan hadn't given an answer to the prince, because she was very polite, but also scared of what could happen if she said no.

They were currently in Tashbaan, an old part of the Calormen territory. It had been three weeks now since they were in that devilish city. But, at last, it wasn't just the king and queens. The Narnian court was with them, which included Mr Tumnus. They were returning to their housing, the place where the Narnian court was staying.

" Way! Way! Way! Way for the white barbarian king, the guest of the Tisroc ( May he live forever! ) Way for the Narnian lords. " - Yelled the Calormene.

It was a gracious party of a dozen people, with the crowd of Tashbaan staring at them like precious art pieces. Susan had stayed behind, and they were coming to her encounter. Edmund whispered something in Olivia's ear, which made her snort, but she tapped her nose and mouth with the back of her hand in order for the sound not to come too loud. The precious moment was cut short when one of the lords yelled:

" There he is! Our little runaway! " - The man pointed to a blonde boy in the front row of the crowd. Olivia recognized him as prince Corin, who had been missing for about a day. The lord stomped ahead, and gave a small smack in the boy.

" Shame on you, my lord! Shame! Queen Susan's eyes are red with weeping because of you! Where have you been? " - He asked, shaking the boy's shoulder. Prince Corin was the next in line for the throne of Archeland. He had come with the Narnian court to Calormen, the reason why was unknown to Olivia. Archeland was a country that had their northern borders against Narnia's south. The two kingdoms were very close, and big allies too.

" Worry not, Peridan. " - Olivia stepped forward, reassuring the man with her words. Olivia crouched to stay at the same level of height as the boy, and offered her hand for him to take. In a shy effort, the boy took her hand, and she slightly took him to her side, as he stood in between Edmund and the girl.

" Ed, could you please take his other hand? " - She asked, and the boy did as so. - " Susan will be reassured when she sees prince Corin safe in our lodging. " - She smiled, and Edmund returned the gesture.

It was little stuff like such that made Edmund fall in love with Olivia even more everyday, her kindness and patience with others was astounding.

Carefully, Edmund and Olivia asked the young boy many questions. He answered none. Shasta ( that was the actual name of the boy, and he was merely being mistaken for Prince Corin ) was deeply confused, and he was worried about the talking horse he had befriended on his journey, Bree.

Olivia eventually gave up, and she nudged Edmund with her elbow when he made a comment about how the boy was dressed like a Calormene slave.

" We are here, your majesties. " - Said a dwarf, who was leading the way back to the place the court was staying.

It was a very pretty place. The prettiest place the boy had ever been. They guided the petite blonde through the courtyard that consisted of multiple orange trees and a fountain.

They entered this room, the four walls painted in white and the decoration was dignified of royalty. A woman, with brown hair and a silver dress stood in the middle of the room, her eyes a little bit red and her cheeks the same colour. The girl turned around at the sound of the door opening, and her eyes immediately landed on the boy.

" Oh, Corin! " - She came and hugged him. - " I have been so worried. Where have you been? You spent the night away! "

Susan let go of the confused boy eventually. Olivia kindly placed her hand on his shoulder, and said in a calm tone of voice:

" You know, that was very irresponsible. Imagine if we went back home without you. Your father's rage would be impeccable! A war could have been caused. Please, don't go missing again. " - The girl placed both her hands on each of his shoulders while speaking, crouching to speak to her.

When she finished speaking, the king that held Shasta's hand came and crouched too, now both sitting in front of Shasta. Edmund grabbed her hand, intertwining their fingers. Olivia looked at him, and smiled, and kissed his cheek. He looked at her, and kissed the top of her head. Shasta noted that those two were clearly in a romantic relationship.

" I believe the boy is dazed. Let's give the prince some rest. " - Nodded Mr Tumnus, helping the boy onto the couch and handing him a drink.

Edmund and Olivia stood up, holding hands still. They went up to Susan, and Edmund asked:

" So, Susan, have you made up your mind about marrying Rabadash yet? " - He asked, dropping the royalty tone.

" No, brother and Olivia. " - Susan signed. - " I wouldn't marry him even for all the jewels in Tashbaan. " - She responded.

" Well, I've never liked him anyway. " - Responded Olivia, shrugging. Edmund nodded, confirming that he shared the same opinion.

" Truly, Sue. When I first met him and his ambassadors, I wondered if you could find a place in your heart to love the prince. " - Edmund admitted to his sister.

" Oh, back in Cair Paravel, Rabadash showed only one side of him. Now, here in Tashbaan, he has shown his other face. " - Said Susan.

" Ah! It's an old saying: see the bear in his own den before you judge his conditions. " - Croaked Sallowpad the Raven.

" True, very true. " - Agreed Olivia. - " It also reminds me of the one that says: come, live with me and you'll know me. "

" Now, I believe we can agree that he is a proud, bloody, cruel and self pleasing tyrant. " - Peaked a dwarf, and the small group murmured in agreement.

" Now, can we please leave this hole of a place? Today, if we can. " - pleaded Susan.

Edmund looked at her, confidently but desperately. He examined the girls. He was going to protect them both, no matter what.

" That's the trouble, Sue. " - Edmund began, squeezing Olivia's hand as he spoke. - " Peridan, please check the door to see if there is no spy here. " - Peridan went to the door and looked, but saw nobody. He gave a thumbs up to Ed, who continued :

" I'm afraid we are in no small danger. "