Twelve

" Can't we leave him behind? "

THE PARTY OF FOUR arrived back at the boats. Caspian asked what food the crew had found, but they had found very little amounts of food, because the land was so dry and the island was volcanic, so not much grew.

Edmund and Olivia were helping the crew with loading the boats, when Lucy asked: " Where's Eustace? "

" Can't we leave him behind? " - Olivia asked, raising her head. Edmund suppressed his laughter with the back of his hand.

" I believe he's out, not helping us load the boats. And I'm with queen Olivia. " - The mouse chipped.

Lucy started calling out her cousin's name. She turned to her brother, and told him she had a bad feeling. Edmund signed, and said: " I'll go find him. " And Olivia told she was going with him, and so did Caspian.

The two boys and the girl went around the island, calling Eustace's name. They came to a small rocky hill, where they saw loads of gold and treasures.

" Treasure. "

" Trouble. "

They got down, and Edmund found a shoe. " Eustace. " - He realised, because his cousin was always wearing those shoes.  The maroon shoes with a golden lace.

Olivia widened her eyes, and rushed to the pile of burnt clothes she found. Edmund widened his eyes, and kneeled down beside his fiancée. " No. " - He gasped, touching the clothing. They even found his diary.

" Oh, cousin. " - Edmund signed. Olivia placed her hand on Ed's shoulder, and regretted her earlier joke about leaving Eustace behind.

" I'm sorry. " - Caspian chipped awkwardly.

" He was just a boy. " - Edmund said. - " I never should've left him. "

" It's not your fault. " - Olivia reassured the boy, and he signed, grabbing her hand in comfort.

" What could have happened to him? "

Caspian looked behind his back. " In this place? Anything. " - He said, getting up and going towards the bones in the format of a body. - " And he wasn't the first. "

Olivia gasped as she saw it, bringing her hands to her mouth. " Lord Octesian. " - She said, looking at the pile of clothing next to him with a familiar mark. Caspian nodded to her, showing that Olivia was corrected.

" We should find his sword. " - But when Caspian said that, Edmund was already holding the piece of weaponry.

Edmund signed, and the three of them headed back to the boats.

—-🐉—-

After coming back to where the boats were, they found a single one awaiting them, and the rest of the crew was back on board. They heard a loud screeching noise in the distance, and Caspian and Olivia shared a look, while Edmund was too distracted in his thoughts to realise what was that sound.

Edmund, who rushed to the boat while Olivia and Caspian stopped in their tracks, was about to untie the rope that was around a rock, Caspian ducked and brought Olivia down with him, while a dragon flew above them.

" Edmund! " - They both called out, but the boy only turned his body to face them both, but giant paws grabbed his body. Edmund grunted as the dragon took him around the island, and gasped as he saw written in fire ' I AM EUSTACE '.

" You have got to be joking. "

Edmund and the dragon ( Eustace ), got back to where the boats were stationed back, because Drinian and his men had rushed back to island when they saw king Edmund on the claws of the dragon and a furious Olivia calling their attention.

Edmund explained that the dragon was actually Eustace, and they all signed. " He must have been tempted by the treasure. " - Edmund concluded, as the massive orange dragon rubbed his paw against the ground, trying to get the golden bracelet out of his skin. 

" Well, anyone knows a dragon's treasure is enchanted. " - Caspian signed, and the dragon let out a sound of complaint. - " Well, everyone from here. " - The Telmarine concluded.

Lucy went ahead, and got the bracelet out of Eustace's skin. " Is there any way to change him back? " - Edmund asked.

" Not that I know off. " - Caspian responded, and looked at Drinian, who shaked his head and shrugged.

" Aunt Alberta will not be pleased. " - Edmund signed, scrunching his face. The dragon snarled lowly, and put his paw back on the floor.

" Sorry about the hand, old boy. " - Reepicheep apologised - " I can be a little overzealous sometimes. "

Tavros, the minotaur, called and said the boats were ready.

" We can't leave him alone. " - Lucy countered.

" Well, we can't bring him on board, your majesty. " - Drinian responded.

Caspian handed the sword they found near lord Octesian's bones, and commanded: " Drinian, you and the others take one boat back. The rest of us will stay here 'till morning and figure out what to do. "

" But you've no provisions, and no means of staying warm, your majesty. " - Gale's father said.

Eustace blew fire from his mouth and created a fire. Reepicheep grinned, and countered: " You were saying? "

They all laughed and chuckled. So they laid down, and had a pleasant night of sleep.