Chapter 20.

Kai's POV.

    Days, Months, years passed by. I'm twenty years old now. It's been 2 years since I've joined the military. I'm a corporal now. We are divided into teams of four. I'm in the delta team with others who are Mike, becky and Sharon. Mike is married with a kid. Becky and Sharon have partners back at home. I called mom sometimes but I never spoke to eve. Mom said that most of the time eve stays in room. Although I wanted to talk to her I was scared that I'd want to leave now.

We were at the headquarters on and off being summoned by cheif. The four of us just finished our morning run and returned to our camp ground.

" these roads keeps getting more longer." Sharon said laying on the ground.
" What no way, I didn't even feel it." Mike replied mockingly.
" don't you start Mike!" Becky said grabbing some water.
I sat there watching them argue. This is our usual morning now. It's been quite a peaceful time for us now and we spend most the time continuing to train and helping the young ones.

" Corporal Kai, " A trainee came and called making us stop our talking.
" Cheif has called you." he said.
" Alright." I replied to which he saluted and went off.

I looked to others faces who were already looking at me.
" Is it now.?" Mike asked.
" I don't know I'll be back." I said getting up and brushing myself off.
I hurried to captains office. Where he sat and waited.

" sir. " I said as I entered and saluted.
" Corporal Kai, I was expecting you." he said.
" Delta team has a mission. You'll be transferred for a while . " he said going through a pile of files.
" what are we required to do sir?" I questioned.
" your team will be transferred to kennicott to one of our bases. Your team will have to be on guard." he said.
" Yes sir." I replied.
" here's the file, this  contains everything you need to know be ready with the others." he said handing me a file. I took the file and went back to the others. Where they sat on the ground stretching while talking.
When they saw me approach they stopped and immediately saw the file in my hand.

" I knew it'd be something. " Mike said.
" it's not that bad, I suppose." I said while sitting with them.
After explaining  what captain had said and going through the file we are supposed to leave tomorrow. With that we went off to get our things ready.

Evelyn's POV.

   days, months, years passed by. I'm thirty three now. It's crazy how fast time goes by. It's now 2 years since Kai has gone to the military. She rarely calls, I haven't spoken to her even once though Hinari says that Kai's doing alright now. I'm still working at my dental. Nicole and Jacky are married. most of the time I go over to Kai's place to stay with hinari and Steve.

" guys ! I'm home." I said as I entered the living room where Steve was on the couch watching something on the TV.
" hey eve! How was work?" Steve asked.
" it was alright. Here I found the new flavour you've been finding for." I said handing him a packet of chips.
" yo! That's awesome! Thanks sis." he said excited I couldn't help but smile at his reaction.
" where's mom. " I asked not seeing hinari around.
" she was in the kitchen. " he said.

In the kitchen at this time? Maybe preparing dinner. I placed my bag on the table and went to the kitchen where hinari was sitting on a  counter stool.
" is everything alright. " I asked for she looked worried.
" oh Evelyn you're home. " she said smiling.
" I just got here." I said while taking a seat next to her.
" Kai called." she said. I felt a sudden feeling of happiness rush through me.
" what'd she say? " I asked.
" her team is being transferred from headquarters to kennicott tomorrow. She won't be able to call much again." hinari said her voice low.
" don't worry, Kai will be just fine and I'm sure she'll find a way to call you soon." I said and a soft smile crept on her face.
" yes you're right. That's my girl out there. She'll be fine. " she spoke with a smile.
" see I told you. She'll be alright and I want you to take care of yourself too. " I said to which she nodded.
" now go freshen up and come I'll ready dinner." hinari said getting up. I agreed and went off.

At the dinner table Steve and hinari told the story how Kai broke her tooth the other night. It was hilarious although I felt bad for her. After cleaning up kitchen with hinari I went upstairs to rest.

I layed down on my bed which was Kai's before. How may I tried to ignore it the fact that Kai is being transferred again was troubling me. I have to admit it, I haven't seen or spoken to her in two years and it was killing me. Now she'll be even far away for God knows how long. I let a sigh out. I took the letter she left for me out from under the pillow.

" when I come back, I'll come find for you.. "   I read. I felt a slight relief in me. One thing hinari told me was to keep my hopes up always and it'll be easy for Kai to come back home. It might sound childish but it helps and I'm continuing to do so. For her to come back to me.  I put the letter back under my pillow and crept under Kai's blanket. It still amazes me how one urgent nerve filling treatment got me here.