Chapter 23.

Evelyn's POV.

The previous night..
After a long day I finally came home to my apartment. The place lacked care. now that I often stay at Kai's I haven't had much time to take care of the place. I turned on the lights brightening up the house. I got freshened up quickly for some sleep. I didn't have dinner, I couldn't bother to make anything or eat.
Once I slipped into my comfortable clothes I slipped under my blankets. I curdled myself in bed feeling a bit lonely in the house all by myself.
Before I fell asleep my mind was occupied with all kind of thoughts about Kai. Whether she ate, if she's doing alright, what she's upto now, when she'll be home. It's crazy thinking that the high school student I knew is now a Corporal in the Army. I stayed in bed staring at the ceiling till sleep came around calming my waves of thoughts.

" Kai? " I spoke.
" No! shit don't come back, " she yelled, her voice cracking and shaking.
My vision began to be clear.. With the slight voices I heard from around me.
" Leave! Take them. " she yelled but her voice wasn't louder than a whisper.
Once my eyes could see clearly. There was Kai.
Right in front of my eyes, laying on the floor. Tears escaping her eyes. Bruises and scars on her face she was on the sandy ground trying but failing to get up.
" Kai! " I shouted, my body shaking at the sight infront of me. I tried to run and help her but my feet didn't move. I couldn't move. My mind yelling and screaming at me. Tears rolled down my face uncontrollably.
Blood covered all over her uniform shirt she laid down crying and curling on the ground.
I cried out loud, I cried my heart out. She's right infront of my eyes suffering but I can't help her.
" Eve! Eve.." I heard her say softly curling and struggling in pain.
I wanted to tear myself down. My heart ached. My body felt lifeless.
" eve.. I'm sorry- " was all I heard her say before sounds of guns firing echoed in my ears.

I covered my ears. I shot up, drenched in sweat and tears. My heart aching and racing. I opened my eyes and looked around me. I was in my room on my bed. It was a horrible dream. Yet it felt so real. It felt like she was right infront of me. I could feel her breath back then. I couldn't close my eyes, it all flashed right infront of me again and again. I cried my heart out staying up in my bed. I couldn't call her, I couldn't say goodbye, I couldn't say I was sorry. I was afraid that I'm too late to do so now.

My body was tired when I heard birds chipping outside. I was still awake. My eyes were hurting. My pillows and blankets were soaked in tears. I couldn't sleep. I was wide awake praying and hoping that Kai is alright, for her to come home safe.

My mind was disrupted when my phone rang.
It was Nicole. I stretched out my arm and answered the phone leaving it on speaker.
" good morning eve, hey are you on your way?" she spoke through the phone. Then it hit me it's a work day.
" morning. I'm sorry nic. Won't be able to come today." I said blankly staring at the empty spot in the bed next to me.
" oh, darling are you alright? " she asked concern ringing in her voice.
" I'm alright, just not feeling well." I said completely lieing.
" if there's anything you need let me know then. " she said before I cut the line.

I stayed in bed not worrying to get up. I felt the warmth of the sun coming through the curtains but I felt strangely cold. I didn't try to fall asleep I was just there staring next to me, at the outside light, at the ceiling from time to time.
It was late afternoon when I was finally able to close my eyes. Nothing worried me. No horrible dreams, no horrible thoughts came through. Just me settling in for a peaceful sleep after what felt like ages.

...

Kai's POV.

We were ready with our weapons and everthing we needed by late afternoon. Nervousness and excitement ran through our bodies as we were traveling in the truck. Non of us spoke. We had everything planned in our heads. Nothing intrupted my mind right now. Not home or Evelyn or my sickness mattered to me now. It was this mission that our focus was on. Once we were in the zone we got off. The truck stayed behind to take the people with them later.
With every step we took towards they're base more focused and concentrated we were. We were cautious about every step we took. The area was sandy yet with few trees and shrubs. Soon the building where the people are being held was at our sight.

There was three men on guard at the entrance. We locked our targets and shot all three of them down at once. Mike signaled for us to go ahead and we did. We took quick and cautious steps towards the building. Once we were at the stairs heading upstairs we muttered all the strength we managed and went right at the targets. In a upstairs room the woman were locked up along with the kids. We shot our first target inside the building and it started. Few men poured into the hallway with guns. Becky took the chance of being in the front and shot them down along with Sharon.

We dug at the sound of a gun fire from behind us. I turned and took two shots on him. Once the hallway was clearing up we aggreed and went towards the room where the people were. We kicked the door open. Inside was five men waiting for our surprise visit. Dodging they're shots we attacked and put them down. The children cried as they watched the men fall on the floor lifeless with splashes of blood. Sharon and Becky was quick to get the people loosened while Mike and I took down any bastard that came our way. Everything went on smooth and fast. As planned we took the people down the stairs the building was almost empty. Sharon, becky and Mike lead the people out while I came behind them on alert of our surroundings.

Once the people were down the stairs Sharon and Becky took each two kids to their shoulders and ran as fast as they could to secure them. Mike and I were taking the women out. When I was about to go down the stairs I heard footsteps coming running from upstairs. Not having enough time and seeing Mike taking the remaining women out safe I jumped down the stairs. I landed on the ground. My head a little dizzy with my body lacking food for days I shook my head. I took my aim and shot the man who was coming running towards the stairs.

I started running out with the others who was way ahead of me. I felt the heat of the evening sun as I ran. The warm breeze hitting my body. For once I thought it was over. The next moment my ears rang with three continuous shots. The heat and the breeze carried the sound miles away.
I stopped with a sharp pain on my right shoulder.
The next moment I was on the ground. I hit face first hard on the hot stone ground.

Son of a bitch I'm shot! I yelled at myself.
I tried to get up as I would but my body wasn't helping. It was lifeless. My health condition was killing me inside. I threw out blood then and there. Tears shot out of my eyes, being helpless on the ground. I tried to get up but I couldn't. I gave my best, all I had and tried yet I fell right down.

I felt time flow slowly. Slowly than it did before. I could feel warm fluids run down my body under my uniform shirt. My heart was racing.
For the first time in my four years I got scared.
I was a afraid I would not be able to see her again. That I would not be able to take her on our date, that I would not be able to say goodbye to her. Her bright smile flashed in my mind. The memories that kept me alive this long was playing in my head.

I heard Mike shouting at me from a distance. I raised my head to see him preparing to come for me.
" No shit! Don't come back!" I yelled as loud as I could. My voice cracking up.
" Take them and leave.." I yelled but it didn't come out louder than a whisper.
I could see Mike coming towards me in the distance. Then it hit me. If he gets hurt I would never forgive myself. He has a child waiting for him at home. I can't do that to him.

Sergeant Henry's words rang in my head,
" you know if you want to leave this place you gotta hold on."
I slowly pushed my body up. With all the remaining life in my body I stood up. My eyes immediately searched for the bitch who shot me.
I spotted a man down the stairs. I loaded my gun and started firing and ran back towards the building dodging the bullets he was sending my way. I knew Mike stopped in his track as I got up. I got my target locked. with all the strength I had I shot him in the calf and right in his shoulder.
The man fell on the ground and tried to go up the stairs. I got to him and kicked his gun far away from him. Placing my feet on his chest I hit him hard on the face with the back of my M4 Carbine. Making the man spit blood this time.
" rott in hell bitch!" I yelled as I took two shots on the man. Making him lay lifeless.

I turned around and saw Mike frozen on his track. I was glad that I held on. I started walking back to the others. I was at clear sight with them when suddenly I threw out blood again. My body couldn't hold me up. Having the world spin around me I fell on the ground.
" Corporal!" I heard faint yells of Mike, Becky and Sharon before everything went dark.

...