The return

"He's back?" I couldn't grasp the information he had given me.

"Yeah, the team returned just now" Alejandro explained but I couldn't listen to him anymore.

I was shocked. I didn't expect to hear that Simon had returned after disappearing for weeks with no explanation. But I felt a mix of confusion, surprise and even a hint of hope.

At first, I couldn't move, feeling the cloud of that nightmare above my head. I was stuck in that moment, unable to take a step forward or back but seconds later I found enough courage to meet him once again.

And after leaving Alejandro outside the base, I rushed to find Simon.

But with every step I took, I felt a sense of fear like blood spreading through my body. I wondered what I would say to Simon after not seeing him for so long. My palms were sweaty, my heart was pounding, and my mouth was dry. I was filled with uncertainty as I tried to imagine what would happen when we finally came face to face.

I had some doubts. I felt myself being consumed by question after question. But most importantly, I wondered how Isabella would start to act around him. Would she tell him how I lost my temper? Or would she completely ignore me and start chasing the shadow she can't touch and feel?

Would she dare to fall in love with a ghost?

But no matter how difficult it was for me not to pay attention to those whispering voices in my head, I somehow managed to find the strength to get rid of them.

And as I was approaching the main part of the base where all the meetings were held I heard some distant chats between soldiers. The door was slightly opened and I recognised the voice of Price, the jokes of Soap. I took a sneak peek but I was disappointed with what I saw. But maybe it wasn't disappointment at all. It was rage.

My frustration.

I saw Simon standing in the distance, his back facing me. But right next to him that dumb whore was trying to talk to him. The way she tried to touch his arm and the smile on her face made me feel sick.

I had to look away and take a deep breath to keep myself from going over there and confronting her.

I was so angry and jealous that I couldn't control myself anymore and I knew that if I didn't calm down, I might do something I would regret.

"Oh look who is spying on us! Our little ask kicker!" Soap shouted across the room and waved, making me stop fantasising about taking my revenge on Isabella.

Everyone then turned to see where I was but I just couldn't take my eyes off her. From the expression on my face it was obvious that I wasn't happy at all to be there. My gaze then shifted from her to Simon, and as our eyes met, I felt my heart drop.

But there he was.

Simon "Ghost" Riley.

The man with a mask was staring at me and admiring the view. But he noticed something was wrong and I was pretty sure he knew what the problem was.

Everyone expected me to come and welcome them with a hug. Instead, I closed the door and headed outside, confident that Simon would follow me and we would have a private conversation.

I wasn't sure where to go at first, but I eventually decided it would be nice to walk to the rushing stream near our base. The place that reminded me there was still beauty and peace left in the world. Luckily, that spot was surrounded by trees, though the melting snow made it difficult for me to walk.

I then leaned against a tree. As I looked up, I could see the sky, a vast expanse of blue, with a few wispy clouds here and there, a reminder of the tranquility that still remained in this chaotic world. I could feel the peace emanating from the trees, towering above me like a protective barrier, separating me from the madness of the storm, the terror Isabella was about to bring into my life.

I could feel the last bits of cold kissing my cheeks, the sounds of flowing water. And as I was about to close my eyes and enjoy that gift of nature, the sound of someone stepping on a stick distracted me. But I didn't move a single muscle, knowing it was Simon who wanted to meet me.

And I wasn't wrong.

I then continued leaning with my eyes closed, waiting for the love of my life. Moments later I could sense a huge figure right next to me, eventually casting a shadow over my face. I slowly opened my eyes and my heart skipped a beat as I saw my Simon right in front of me. I couldn't help but give him a slight smile as I realized that my dreams had been given life.

The gaze he gave me was softer than ever and his presence filled the space with a warmth I had never felt before. Simon's eyes lit up with joy as he saw the light in mine. I felt like I had come home. And while he stroked my cheeks, I almost forgot how strong his hands were. But he knew how to be gentle, and he knew how to love me.

"Is there still some love left for me?" He whispered, probably feeling guilty for leaving me for so long.

"Forever and always" I responded and without a second thought I hugged him. Despite the pain and heartache caused by his absence, my love for him was still strong and I wanted to show him that I was willing to forgive and move past the hurt.

I pressed my face against his chest, feeling his heart pounding and his hands wrapped around me. In his arms, I felt comfort and security that I hadn't felt for a long time. I could feel my body melting into his embrace and my worries simply fading away.

But life had other plans for us.

After that, I wondered how our life would have turned out if Isabella hadn't been spying on us behind a tree during that moment.

Planning her revenge.

Planning the death of me.