Bad consequences

"Wake up, Y/N, we are almost here" Soap shook me gently, trying to rouse me from my deep sleep.

I opened my eyes still feeling groggy and disoriented, my vision slowly adjusting to the red lights inside the helicopter. I could feel it beginning to descend, the engine's roar being loud as we neared our destination. I gathered my things and prepared to disembark, my heart racing as I wondered how that mission would turn out.

Shortly after Isabella's birthday, our team managed to gather some information about the terrorists we had been looking for. That time I knew it would be a difficult mission since the bad guys were known for bombing in the past, murdering innocent people and everybody knew how cruel they could be with their hostages.

Thought it wasn't the worst part - after having analysed the data we received from our sources, we realised that the terrorists had already started moving to a new hideout. That was why we had to act fast and it was decided to send a team on a reconnaissance mission.

We were now somewhere deep in Mexico, a remote village away from any other civilization, an ideal place for terrorists to hide. I was sure that night would be a cursed one - such a huge possibility of so many innocent people dying just because someone was too eager to have all the power in the world.

But that was why I was there, to protect.

...

There were six of us - Soap, Alejandro, Rodolfo, Isabella, Ghost and finally me. Unfortunately, Simon and I were not placed in the same group of two. Instead, I was paired with Isabella and I swore to myself I would smack the shit out of that person whose decision it was.

I knew there was nothing I could do but it wasn't the right time and the right place to complain. Nothing was left for me, except believing in myself that I would find enough strength to resist the temptation to kill her.

As soon as we landed, Simon reminded us of our responsibilities. Isabella and I were assigned to approach the town from the North, while the other groups were instructed to approach it from the South East and South West.

After we both stepped out of the helicopter, the sound of the propellers slowly died down as the rest of our team was flown to different parts of the town. The realization that Isabella and I were the only ones left sank in as we watched the helicopter gradually disappear from sight. We were now left standing in the middle of nowhere, about a kilometer away from our destination.

I hoped for a moment of silence to reflect on the mission and to mentally prepare myself for what lay ahead. And despite my best efforts to avoid any interactions with her, it seemed impossible to escape her presence.

As we started to walk towards our destination, I tried to focus. However, my hopes of being able to concentrate were soon dashed as Isabella began to talk incessantly. I tried to ignore her at first, but her chatter became increasingly difficult to tune out. I silently prayed that she would just keep her mouth shut, but it seemed as though my prayers had fallen on deaf ears.

"Hey, are you listening to me?" She inquired.

"What? No... I mean, yes" I replied even thought she was right. Paying attention to her words would have meant being unaware of our surroundings.

"You okay?" She jokingly asked though it felt like she was making fun of me.

We exchanged a quick glance as I continued to refuse to answer her questions.

As we walked through the field, our boots crunching the dry grass beneath our feet, the darkness of the night was our ally. The cool night air was a relief, but the chill made me shiver in my uniform. We continued walking in silence, alert and focused, scanning our surroundings for any signs of danger.

The sky above was a deep black, punctuated by twinkling stars and the pale glow of the moon. And despite the peace and stillness of the night, I remained tense, knowing that danger could be lurking just beyond my line of sight.

In that moment, the night felt both infinite and fleeting, a reminder of the unpredictable nature of war and the fragility of life.

...

From my walkie-talkie, I heard Simon ask "Any news, Heroin?"

"Not yet" My response was fast and firm.

We were careful to stay out of sight and not draw too much attention to ourselves as we moved quickly between buildings, aware that there still might be people awake and active despite the late hour.

Then suddenly, a sound cut through the stillness.

Laughter.

It echoed from one of the open balconies. Both of us stopped in the shadows and saw a group of people gathered on it. I wondered for a second how it must have felt to live such a life, without knowing that danger was lurking and waiting for you behind every corner.

Ignorance - such bliss.

"Hey, Heroin, focus, I am talking to you" Isabella came right behind me and whispered, clearly being annoyed.

"I am focused, just not on distractions" I turned my gaze to her.

"Excuse me?" She asked, still not believing someone could disagree with her.

"You are excused" I gave her a slight smirk, the same she gave me when she was flirting with Simon.

My senses continued to be heightened as we walked through the deserted alleyways of the town. Every step felt heavy, my senses alert to any potential threat. I held my gun tightly in my hand, my fingers wrapped firmly around the grip, ready to react at a moment's notice.

I then felt the first drops of rain fell from the sky, pattering gently against the asphalt of the alleyway. The smell of wet pavement mingled with the scent of rain, earthy and fresh it almost helped me forget about the danger that was waiting for me.

As we continued walking, the sound of rain grew louder, some puddles formed on the ground, reflecting the light from the windows above. I then stopped for a moment, looking up at the sky. Rain was now running down my face in rivulets. And as I closed my eyes and breathed in the smell of rain, the cool air filled my lungs.

In the distance, thunder rumbled, a low growl that echoed throughout the town. The rain fell harder now, pounding against the ground with increasing force, drowning out the sound of our footsteps. We then quickened our pace, eager to reach our destination before the storm grew too strong.

My eyes darted back and forth, scanning the shadows for any signs of movement. The buildings around me were dark and foreboding, their windows like empty eyes watching me. I moved cautiously, making sure to check every corner before proceeding. I held my gun at the ready, my finger hovering over the trigger.

As I turned a corner, I caught sight of movement in the distance. My heart leaped in my chest as I raised my gun, ready to fire. But then I saw that it was just a stray cat, and I lowered my weapon with a sigh of relief.

"Scared of a cat? Really?"

"What is your fucking problem?" I finally snapped, not being able to control myself anymore.

"Jeez, you're so sensitive. Pms or something?"

And that was my last straw. I had enough and I quickly pinned Isabella against the wall, our faces inches away from each other. My grip tightened on the gun as I pushed it against her chest, holding Isabella in place.

"One more word and I will make sure this night becomes your last one, is that clear?" I asked and noticed her eyes widen in shock.

"Now let's finish this mission before I kill you" I said sternly, emphasizing my point with a deadly gaze. My words were a warning, a promise that I was willing to fulfill if she made one wrong move.

Deep in my heart I knew we were getting closer but Isabella's behaviour raised so many questions.

After my warning, she kept her distance.

And even though I made the right decision, the consequences I had to face were unexpected.