Chapter 03

Chapter 03

"You're mad," he said as soon as we were out of anyone's earshot.

"Later," I replied as I gave a smile to the waiter who passed by us.

"Nadia—"

"I said later," I repeated, cutting him off.

He looked a bit taken aback by what I said. Sure, maybe he thought na pwede na kaming magusap dito dahil wala ng tao... but you'll never know. You'll never know kung may nakikinig ba sa 'yo. And if there's one thing I learned in life is that your words can and will be used against you. Kaya minsan, naniniwala talaga ako na less talk, less mistake. Because words can be twisted, can be interpreted to serve anyone's interest.

And I am only interested in serving my own interest.

"Stop sulking," I told Archie when I caught him with his forehead creased.

He scoffed. "So, now I can't even scoff?"

Tumingin ako sa kanya. "Why are you acting like a child?" I asked him. Hindi siya nagsalita. He stayed silent until the car pulled over in front of us. "Thank you," I said when he still opened the door for me.

Nang makapasok siya sa loob, I looked at him.

"Now, we can talk," I said now that we're in the privacy of the car. Sure, the driver's here, but he knows he can't talk about what he hears. Whatever conversation he hears, it's gone as soon as he leaves the car. Sure, he signed and NDA, but I think he's more scared with what could happen to him and to his family kung may makalabas sa mga naririnig niya—same with all the people who work for my family. There's a reason why they're all well-compensated. They're not only being paid for the service, but for their silence, as well.

"I don't want to talk," he said like a child.

Napailing na lang ako. I wanted to think that I made a mistake by choosing him, but I refuse to think that. He's just... challenging. And I do love challenges.

"I'm not mad," I told him. "And seatbelt, please."

He begrudgingly put on his seatbelt. "Embarrassed, then."

"You're the one who said that," I said.

Saint, bless him, managed to set a dinner for Archie to be introduced to Preston. All Archie needed to do was to show up, smile, shake his hand, and that's it. But for some reason, it felt like he felt the need to impress him. He kept on doing all this 'big talk.' I didn't know why but it came off as a bit desperate. So, yes, I was embarrassed.

"So, you're embarrassed," he said in an accusing manner.

"Why do you think I'm embarrassed?" balik tanong ko sa kanya. "Did you do anything embarrassing for me to be embarrassed?"

Napailing na lang ako nang ipag-krus niya iyong mga braso niya na parang bata.

"You're the one who told me to be more 'relatable,'" he said using air quotes.

"I did say that."

"So, what's wrong with me talking about soccer?" he asked. "Preston used to play soccer in college."

"Exactly. In college. He doesn't play anymore. Had you listened, I would've told you that he's more into collecting vintage cars and investing," I reminded him na sinabi ko naman talaga sa kanya, but he was more focused on my breasts. Maybe the next time that I would be talking about something important, I should be fully clothed because clearly, Archie couldn't multitask. It's like his brain can only handle one thing at a time—or maybe two things at a time.