Chapter 33

Chapter 33

"Big day for you, huh?"

"What?" I asked, my forehead creased in confusion. The past few days—weeks, even—had been very tiring. Sometimes, I was just running on four hours of sleep—five, if I get lucky. But I had no complaints.

In the end, it's all going to be worth it.

"New role," Aspen said. "Mom and wife of a senator."

"Right," I replied.

90% of the total number of ballots had been counted. He's number 2. Safe to say, Archibald's already a shoo in. I could finally breathe.

Natawa siya. "You don't look too pleased."

"I am," I said. "It just doesn't reflect on my face."

Mas lalo siyang natawa. Thankfully, he decided to talk to his wife and leave me alone. I like Aspen, but I was just in no mood to talk to anyone at the moment.

I stood up and decided to just go inside the house. We were at Abuela's house to celebrate. Maven won. Of course. Didn't doubt that for a moment. But I didn't want to dwell on it, really. The presidential election's gonna be six years from now. I could relax... at least for a moment.

I won the battle, but I needed to win the war.

"Congratulations," I said when I saw Abby.

"Thank you," she replied.

We both know that it's us who won—Maven and Archibald were just pawns.

Napatingin siya sa tiyan ko.

"When is the due?" she asked. I knew that she's just asking because she's trying to make small talk. I knew because if the situation was in reverse, that's what I would have done, too.

"Not sure," I replied. I was told, but it's been very busy. I'd check again. I just really needed a few days off. I needed to recalibrate before I go back to my normal schedule.

Abby just nodded. We're just all here gathered because Abuela's not getting any younger. No one likes to talk about it. We just... glide around the subject. I mean, she's evil, but she's still mortal. This was one of the things money can't buy, sadly.

"I have a question," I asked. She just gave me a shrug. "If you were in my position, what would you have done?"

"Not gonna happen to me," Abby replied.

Bahagya akong natawa. "That confident, huh?"

She nodded. "Yes."

"Good to hear."

"Can I ask a question?" she asked.

"Yes."

"Why didn't you do it?"

"That's not who I am."

"What's the difference?" she asked.

"You won't understand," I replied.

"Because of the plane thing?"

"Yes, because of the plane thing."

We don't really call it for what it was—multiple murder. And that really pisses Addie off because for her, calling it the 'plane thing' minimizes its effect.

"Then how can you beat Maven in the Presidency?" Abby asked.

I forced a smile on my face.

She was just looking at me—no expression on her face.