Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Kakalabas ko pa lang ng kwarto ay agad kong nakita iyong mukha ni nakakunot na noo ni Archie habang may binabasang dyaryo. I paused and took a deep breath. I knew that he would not approve of this, but it's needed. It was such a good headline. It was so hard to pass up on in opportunity to paint him as a knight in shining armor.

"Good morning," I greeted as though I had no idea that his morning was far from good.

"Unbelievable," he said as he continued to read the article. Palalim lang nang palalim iyong kunot ng noo niya.

"What is?" I asked as I walked towards the coffee maker and grabbed myself a mug.

"This headline," sabi niya at saka pinakita sa akin iyong litrato.

Ah... that.

I was the one who approved that photo before it was sent to various newspaper company and tv stations. I also had the team email it to different online publications since we can reach a lot more with social media. Iba na talaga ang labanan ngayon. And since Abuela offered the opportunity for Archie to run for the Senate, it wouldn't hurt kung makikilala na rin siya nationally.

"Oh," was my only response.

Napailing na lang siya habang pinatong iyong dyaryo sa counter. "I can't believe it. They really are vultures," he said. Bless him if he really was mad because of the headline.

"Is the girl okay?" I asked.

"No," he replied. "Why would she? She lost her entire family."

He's being very sensitive about this. Tumahimik lang ako. Ininom ko iyong kape. Archie grabbed his phone and read something.

"Shit," he said.

"What is it?"

"Nakita na nila iyong bangkay."

"Ng buong pamilya?"

Umiling siya. "Iyong sa magulang pa lang."

"At the very least, there's closure," I offered as I reached for his hand and held it.

"I guess so..."

"We can go to the funeral," I told him.

He looked at me like he was surprised that I even offered to do that. "You would do that?" he asked.

I nodded. "Yes, of course," I said as I squeezed his hand tight. Tumingin siya sa akin at bahagyang ngumiti.

* * *

I told Archie to focus on his work and promised him that I would help that poor girl with the funeral of her parents. Archie sure did sound worried about the girl. This was important to him kaya naman kailangan kong ayusin 'to.

"That's very nice to hear," sabi ko kay Cheryl nang ireport niya sa akin iyong feedback sa litrato ni Archie. The approval rating was very promising. Kung magpapatuloy sa ganito ay hindi malabo na sa senado na nga ang susunod na destinasyon namin.

"I think we should hold on to the girl, Ma'am," Cheryl said.

"I know," I replied dahil bago pa man niya sabihin 'yan ay marami na akong plano para sa babae na 'yon. "What's her name again?"

"Rosie," Cheryl replied.

"Rosie..." I repeated as I leaned my head against the headrest of my seat.

"Do you need me to do a deep dive, Ma'am?"

"No need for now," I replied. She'll take whatever we'll give her. After all, beggars can't be choosers.