Chapter 31

Chapter 31

After the meeting with Rosie, dumiretso ako kay Abuela. I just needed to tell her about what I'd do kahit alam ko na alam niya naman na.

But then my day had to be ruined.

"Abby," I said when I saw her. She looked like she was about to leave.

"Nadia," she replied curtly.

"Good to see you."

"Likewise."

We'd be the best of friends if only she didn't decide that she also wanted that one thing that I'd wanted all my life.

She didn't want the presidency—she only wanted Maven and her little family. Pissed me off that she'll have Maven run for presidency regardless. No one would dare touch her and her family—everyone knows she's deranged.

"Good luck on the election," she said.

I forced myself to smile. "Thank you. Good luck to Maven, too."

"Thank you," she replied as she gave me a small nod and went about her way.

I still had six years to make a game plan about the presidency. Now, I had to focus on the senate.

"I'm taking the baby," I said.

"I've heard," Abuela replied.

"How? I literally just decided."

"I predicted," she replied.

Kumunot ang noo ko. Was I that predictable? That was disappointing.

"No one is expecting you to kill a baby," Abuela said.

"If you were in my position?" I asked her.

She just gave me a passive look.

I knew it.

She would do it—she's done worse.

"Do not compare," Abuela said. "Ordering the killing of some man you do not have personal ties with is different from killing a child you have personal ties with. The former is easier."

I know that.

It's easy to order death—I'd seen her do that... not in so many words... sometimes, just by giving a look to her security... It's eerie... and scary.

"It's gonna ruin my chances," I said.

"A baby is always a blessing."

"Not when the baby's a bastard," I replied.

Abuela chuckled a little. "I won't care about that baby, Nadia—that baby is not my grandchild."

"I don't expect you to," I said. "I just..." Tumingin ako sa kanya. "I can't do it. I can't kill a child," I admitted.

I thought I could.

I really thought I could, but as it turned out, I draw the line on innocent kids.

But Rosie? I had no doubt in my mind that I could do it.

"No one's forcing you to," she replied.

"I feel like this one's gonna bite me in the ass someday," I said.

"Maybe," she said. "But you're a problem solver—you'd always been."

My lips parted.

Was she... complimenting me?

"This is nothing," Abuela said. "You take that child. You project a happy family. If people knew about it, deny it. If they persist, act like the victim. Always be the blameless victim."