Chapter 15

Chapter 15

"You sometimes scare me when I look at you," Addie told me.

"What? Why?" I asked, a bit confused—probably because I wasn't really listening to what she was saying earlier. I was more focused on the calendar that was right in front of me. Patapos na kasi iyong pangalawang taon ng pagiging mayor ni Archie. This year needed to end perfectly. So far, wala namang naging malaking problema other than the usual gossip coming from the camp of the previous mayor. But that's no big deal. Most of our constituents were pleased with Archie as their mayor—well, mostly because of the giveaways I organized. After all, who doesn't love free things?

"You're like Abuela," she replied.

"I'll take that as a compliment," I said.

Natawa siya. "Of course you will."

"Why not?" sagot ko. "Look at our family," I continued. "If not for her, probably half the men in our family would be in jail for concubinage."

Muli siyang natawa. "Right..."

"Also, the future generation won't ever have to worry about money," I said, pertaining to the fact that there were lots of hidden accounts—probably some of those I'll never hear about in this lifetime. I mean, it's fine. I'll just have my own ill-gotten wealth. Ayoko rin naman ng utang na loob. Kahit pa sabihin na pamilya kami, I still hated when the people in our family would remind me of the fact that if not for them, I wouldn't be where I am.

"But why do I remind you of Abuela?" I asked.

She shrugged. "Just... how you're basically the one who's running the show."

"Just organizing some programs," I said.

Tumawa siya. "See? Humility doesn't really suit you. Sounds so fake. Made my skin crawl," she replied.

Natawa na rin ako. "I'm just practicing," I told her. "My role is Archie's dutiful wife."

"Who in reality is the one running the show," she replied.

I shrugged again. "You know I never really liked being in the spotlight—too many eyes on you," I said. "See what happened with your brother—"

She groaned. "Can we not discuss that?"

I chuckled. "You started it," I said.

"Whatever," she replied. "Are you done now? Can we go to lunch now?"

"Yes, of course," sabi ko habang nakatingin pa rin sa calendar. We just needed to do some more giveaways, of course, and attend some events. And we needed to organize another trip for the barangay captains. It doesn't hurt to remind them where their loyalty lies. Oh, and we also needed to meet with potential business investors. The more business in this municipality, the better for everyone. I didn't know why I had to remind Archie this. Hindi niya ata alam na tax mula sa business ang nagpapatakbo talaga sa lugar na 'to maliban sa budget mula sa national government.

"God, you really are like her," she commented one more time bago ako napairap at napatayo na mula sa kinauupuan ko.

Addie and I went to have a late lunch. We didn't discuss anything family or politics related—which meant that it was a very pleasant meal. Nagusap lang kami tungkol sa nangyari sa isang kakilala namin. We gossiped about her getting pregnant and having no idea about who the father is because apparently, she engaged in a group sex. That was actually a fun conversation.

It was already 5PM nang matapos kami ni Addie. Dumiretso na ako pauwi.

"Hi," I said when I saw that Archie's already home.