Chapter 24

Chapter 24

I hadn't had dinner at home in a while. I was always out, trying to close deals with people. I was so tired, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It's better to have lots of fund than to lack fund. Ang gastso ng campaign. We really needed to win this one.

"You're going out again?" tanong sa akin ni Archie.

I nodded while I was checking the content of my bag. "Meeting," I simply replied.

"With whom?"

"Donors."

"Hindi pa rin tapos 'yan?" he asked. "Kalagitnaan ng campaign?"

Umiling ako. "It never ends," I replied. "Besides, this campaign is expensive," I told him.

From my peripheral vision, nakita ko na dahan-dahan siyang tumango. "Why am I not invited?" he asked.

Napatingin ako sa kanya. "Why?" I asked.

"Why not?" he replied.

I shrugged. "I don't know," I said. "I never thought that you'd be interested."

"Why would you think that?"

"Because," I replied. "Remember the dinner with Preston?"

Nakita ko iyong pamumula ng tenga niya—a sign that he's embarrassed. Bahagya siyang nag-iwas ng tingin. He looked cute while doing that.

"That was a long time ago," he said and that made me smile a little. Yeah. It was a long time ago. Ang tagal na rin pala naming magkasama. Time really flew quickly.

"Right," I said tapos ay ibinalik ko iyong tingin ko sa bag ko. When I was sure that everything's inside, ibinalik ko iyong tingin ko sa kanya. "I'll head out."

I did not follow Aspen's advice to go get myself a sidepiece. For what? I did not need a man to validate me. Having a man in my life is more of a... work. For me, a relationship is work. It's commitment. It's constant communication. It's allotting time. It's just too much.

And I knew that he wasn't suggesting that I get myself a boyfriend, but I also didn't want some guy to fuck me. Being with me is a privilege. And I don't have the time to date right now. I wouldn't let some random man touch me. I'd rather be celibate.

"Nadia," he called.

Napahinto ako. "What?" I replied. Hindi agad siya sumagot. I saw him look at me from my face down to my feet. It was like he was taking in the vision in front of him. I was wearing a white blazer and skirt and red heels. I knew it's a business meeting, but I always believe in looking not only good, but great. It's taken me far in life. A lot of man will give you what you ask for if you look good. It's just how it is.

"Next time, I'll join you," he said.

"Where?"

"Dinners," he replied. "With donor."

"Oh," I said. "I thought you're tired? Or you have somewhere to go."

Lately, I did not even bother to ask him kung saan siya pupunta. At first, my curiosity was always nagging me. Where's he going? Was he with someone else? What's he doing? Was he being careful? But later on, I got tired. I knew I would just drive myself crazy. And I knew that it was probably just my pride talking. I'd never be at peace knowing Rosie got ahead of me, but if she can take Archie away, then she could have him. I wouldn't stress myself over someone who can easily be taken away. She can have him.

Besides, right from the beginning, this has always been a marriage of convenience. We tried to make it something that it wasn't and we failed. That's just how things go. You don't always get what you ask for. You just have to roll with it.