Chapter 26

Chapter 26

"Do you want to go home already?" I asked while we were standing side by side.

"Do you want to go home?" he asked back.

"Not yet," I replied.

"Then, no," he said. "Why will I go home if you're still here?"

"Because clearly, your head is elsewhere."

Narinig ko iyong pagbuntong hininga niya. Whatever was in that message, it was enough to make him bothered. Kanina pa siya hindi mapakali. A part of me wanted to know what it was, but another part of me reminded myself that it's none of my concern.

At best, we're business partners.

I should stay on my lane and everything will be fine.

"I'm sorry," he said.

Napaawang ang labi ko. Did he actually apologize? This was... weird. I was used to him being passive-aggressive or sometimes, straight to aggression.

What was in that message?

What did Rosie tell him?

"Ilan pa ba ang dapat nating kausapin?" he asked.

I wanted to tell him that we could already go home since he looked so bothered by whatever it was... but this was work. Whatever business he had with Rosie, he should deal with that on his own time. This was far more important.

"Just two more people," I replied.

"Kasama si Jack?" he asked.

"What?" I asked, my forehead creased.

"Why did he give you a diamond necklace?" he asked.

"We're back to that, I see," I replied as I started to walk because I also did not want to talk about that topic. It was just a necklace.

Archie tried his best to act normal, but I was his wife. Of course I knew when he's acting normal and when something's at the back of his mind. I ignored it until it was time to go home.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"Home."

"Oh. Okay. Akala ko may iba pa tayong kakausapin."

I did not reply to his last sentence and instead, decided to walk in silence. Tahimik lang din ako sa loob ng sasakyan. When I glanced at his side, nakita ko na nakatingin lang siya sa labas. I'd see him sigh and then run his fingers through his hair.

"Thank you," I said when he opened the door for me.

"You're always welcome," he replied with a small smile on his face.

He was still silent as we were waiting for the lift. When we went inside, I was just staring at his reflection on the mirror—unabashedly at that. After a while, he finally caught me staring.

"You want a picture?" he asked in a lighter manner.

"Are you okay?" I asked. It was a valid question. Even he should know that he's acting weirdly.

He gave an unconvincing nod. "Yes, of course," sabi niya. He gave me an equally unconvincing smile. "Just work."

"Is that what Rosie texted?"

Bahagyang napaawang ang labi niya. "What?"

"I didn't read anything," I said. "My eyes accidentally glanced when a notification came in."

Hindi siya nagsalita.

When we reached our place, I quietly removed my shoes and walked towards our room. I wanted to ask more, but I needed to stop. It wasn't any of my concern. I needed to be constantly reminded of that.