Chapter 17

Chapter 17

"Did you ask to see me just to insult me?" Addie asked.

"No, not at all," I replied. "I'm just thinking out loud."

"At the expense of my family?"

I shrugged. "Not my fault that your family's a great example," I told her.

Ever since I told Archie that I was willing to start a family with him, things went back to normal... kinda. But I also knew that I needed to hold up to my end of the bargain. I wanted to have a family with him—it was on the calendar. I just wasn't sure if this was the right time. Also, when I told him about us having kids before, I did tell him that a surrogate would carry the baby, not me. But knowing what I know about him, I knew that he would not be open to the idea. I know a lot of people who do this. But Philippines being the country that it is, I knew that most people would raise a brow to this idea kaya naman kahit na surrogate ang magdadala ay magsusuot pa rin ako ng moon bump.

This was becoming more complicated than intended.

"On one hand, having kids seems like a great idea—exhibit A, Maven," I said since that woman would forever have a hold over Maven because of that kid. "On the other hand... your mom," I continued with a slight shaking of my head.

"Wow, thanks."

I chuckled a little. "I did not hear a disagreement on your part."

Addie rolled her eyes. "My dad's something else."

"I mean, aren't all the men in our family?"

"True that," Addie said as she raised her glass. "But... will you be a good mom?"

"The baby will be well provided," I replied.

"You know that's not what I mean."

"I'll do my best."

Napailing si Addie. "Can't you control him without putting an innocent child into the situation?" she asked. "The guy's obviously head over heels in love with you."

Hindi ako nakasagot agad.

"Surely, you can use that to your advantage."

"Maybe."

"Jere is only beneficial to Avery because she did something horrible..." Addie said. "Unless you're planning on doing something like that as well, I think you can dispense with the idea of having a kid like it's some bargaining chip?"

I shrugged. "Doesn't hurt to be prepared."

Napailing siyang muli. "Just think about this again," sabi niya. "Bargaining chip or not, this child's going to be your child as well. I don't think you understand that."

I didn't know why I was asking Addie for her opinion. Bata pa lang ako ay alam ko na na magkakaroon ako ng pamilya. It's part of the package, anyway. Dating, engagement, marriage, family—all these to get to the top. Alam ko na 'yan kaya bakit ba nagdadalawang-isip ako ngayon?

I tried to focus on work. I needed to finish these before I go home. Ayaw ni Archie nang nagsasabi ako ng kahit ano tungkol sa trabaho. It pisses him off for some reason. I wanted to ask him why, but at the same time, I didn't want to open a can of worms. I worked hard for this peace and I didn't want it to be disturbed for as long as humanly possible.

"He's just been swamped with work, Ma'am," Cheryl said.

"That's it?"

She nodded. "Yes, Ma'am."

I also did ask Cheryl to keep an eye out on that girl Rosie. I mean, sure, nakakaawa naman talaga iyong nangyari sa kanya, but I couldn't help but think that she's nothing but bad news. And normally, I would just brush it off. It's just a silly crush, anyway. But we're so close to the end of Archie's term. The stakes are much higher. I wouldn't let her silly crush get in the way of my dreams.