Chapter 23

Chapter 23

I knew that I'd never marry for love. I'd rather marry someone I respect and can tolerate. That way, walang sakit ng ulo. He could do whatever he wanted as long as he would not give me any problem. That's my ideal marriage.

But as they say, the universe has a twisted sense of humor.

"Do you think there's something going on?" I asked Cheryl.

"Going on where, Ma'am?" she asked.

She followed my eyes. Nakatingin ako kay Archie na tahimik na nagbabasa ng speech niya para mamaya. We finally filed for candidacy. I consulted with some of my mentors and all of them agreed that it's a risk worth taking. I like risk, but I only like calculated risks. I am not a big fan of losing—that's why it grates my nerves to even think about Archie and Rosie getting together.

"Nothing," I said as I thought that I was just probably being ridiculous. Rosie was literally just sitting beside him.

I did not know if something's going on between them. I refuse to hire a private investigator. I promised myself that I would never stoop that low. I still have my limits.

I wanted to ask Archie again because it had been months since we last talked... kung may nagbago ba sa pagitan nilang dalawa. But I knew that he would never tell me the truth. I knew that if I asked, kahit walang nangyayari sa kanila, he'd tell me that there's something going on just to piss me off.

Life at home is just one big pissing contest between us. I didn't know if I like that or the silence better.

I kept my distance and acted like everything's normal. The gossip died down—kind of. It was all PR. Abuela reminded me that optics is king. I know that. I was just distracted. She also asked me about me if I was okay. I was pretty sure she's asking about my short stay at the hospital. I knew she did not care much about the supposedly great grand kid. Ang dami kong pinsan na kayang magbigay sa kanya.

She's probably asking if I were okay with my husband having an affair with someone else. I just told him that everything's handled. As long as people didn't think that there's trouble in paradise, everything's gonna be fine. Besides, who in their right mind would believe that Archie would choose that girl over me? And who would think that if there is something going on between them, that I'd be here and just watch it all?

At the very least, in their mind, it did not make sense. I'd count that as a win for me.

Nang malapit nang magsimula iyong program, lumapit na ako kay Archie.

"Everything good?" I asked him.

He gave me a small nod. "Do you want to check my speech?" he asked.

"No need. I already read that," I told him.

"Of course you did."

I shrugged. "I just want everything to be perfect," I told him.

"I know," he replied.

Walang nagsalita sa pagitan namin. I did not say anything and just let him rehearse his speech. Nakita ko si Rosie na nasa isang gilid. Good for her. At least alam niya na 'wag lumapit kapag nandito ako. The only thing that's stopping me from completely having her removed was the fact that we're using her sob story for the campaign once again. Can't deny that that one cemented Archie's good reputation. Also, it would be suspicious kung bigla siyang mawawala. The timing would be too good. The gossip mongers would have a field day.

"Ready?" he asked.

"Always," I replied. "What?" I asked when he offered me his hand. He wanted to hold my hand dahil maglalakad na kami papunta sa stage kung saan niya sasabihin ang speech niya. "Won't your little girlfriend be jealous?" I asked.