Chapter 34

Chapter 34

"You can't even let her soul rest in peace," Addie commented.

My team was searching Rosie's house. I mean, the bitch's dead, but I knew that even in the afterlife, I knew that I could never trust her. So, I had to have her place checked for any surprises. Mas madali sana kung ipasunog ko na lang 'tong bahay niya, but I thought that that would be unfair for her neighbors. Hindi naman nila kasalanan siya ang naging kapitbahay nila.

"You know that girl hated me," I simply replied.

"I mean, can you blame her?"

"Are you being serious?"

Natawa si Addie. "No, no, I mean, I understand you, but I also understand why she's not your biggest fan."

I rolled my eyes. "Never thought you empathizing with a whore would be in my bingo card for this year."

"I'm not empathizing with her," she said. "It's just that... she's dead."

"So? She's with her family now."

She looked at me like she was disappointed. What? I never pretended that I was nice—it's just that I wasn't a cold blooded murderer. But still, I wasn't nice—not even in the slightest.

"But she just... died."

"I don't see the relevance of this discussion, Addie," I told her. "I was in the room when she died. I saw the doctors try to revive her. She's dead. I sure as hell did not touch her."

She nodded, but I could see that she still had questions in her mind. Whatever they were, she decided not to ask me anymore.

"How's the move?" she asked instead.

I merely shrugged.

We moved a couple of days ago. It was a huge house—just like how I wanted it. I wanted to occupy the master's, but I also wanted to be as far as I could be from the nursery. Nandon ako sa kabilang dulo ng bahay. Kung mayroon nga lang na guest house ay baka nandon na ako nakatira.

"May pangalan na ba 'yung baby?"

"Yes."

"Ano?"

"Why are you suddenly curious?" I asked because the last time I checked, none of my relatives were really excited for this baby. I mean, with my other cousins, it wasn't this bad since they're still relatives by blood. But this baby's just a complete stranger. They all knew that this baby's the product of my husband's philandering ways. This baby will never be welcomed in the family. He'll feel it when he's old enough to understand. And he's got no one to blame but his philandering father.

"Okay," she said. "The last time I asked, you said na kung pwedeng baby boy na lang ang ipangalan."

I shrugged again. I just really could not care less for this baby. I would not go out of my way to be a horrible mother to him, but also, I would not be... his mother. At best, we'll be housemates.

Besides, he's got his father and an army of nannies. He'll be just fine.

After a while, I was told that the place was clear. Good. Now, I can go home in peace knowing that my problem's been solved.

Addie and I had dinner first at her house since I couldn't be seen in public so soon after giving birth. Also, I didn't want to go home now at the risk of hearing the baby cry. I mean, I try to pretend he's not home, but I wasn't deaf. Of course I'd hear him cry.

Then it was time for me to go home. This place was a bit farther than our previous place. It's nice, but I really preferred living in the city. I just wanted to live in a penthouse for as long as I could possibly be. I never was the suburban mom living in a white picket fence house type—that would be my own personal nightmare. It'd be like I was just waiting for my inevitable death.