PRELUDE

‿︵‿︵୨˚̣̣̣͙୧ - - ୨˚̣̣̣͙୧‿︵‿︵

Rhaenyra Targaryen's first pregnancy was a long and arduous journey. As her belly swelled to extraordinary proportions, whispers spread throughout the kingdom, carrying prophecies of a momentous event. The sheer magnitude of her growing womb left no doubt in the minds of the realm's inhabitants—a prophecy whispered among the people, foretelling the birth of twin kings, whose strength would rival that of the legendary Aegon the Conqueror.

The murmurs held some truth. In the first few hours, the princess gave birth to a son, but his arrival from the womb was scandalous. His brown locks presented a puzzling contradiction, for they seemed impossible given Rhaenyra's marriage to Laenor. Nevertheless, she knew from that moment forward she would do anything to protect him.

The second child to emerge was not the long-awaited son that the whispers had hoped for. Instead, a baby girl graced the world, a true reflection of her lineage unlike her brother. Adorned with a soft crown of fine, silky hair that shimmered like molten silver, each strand catching the light, she possessed an ethereal glow. Her fair skin resembled that of her mother, but it was her captivating pair of vivid green eyes that sparked even more curiosity and suspicion. These emerald orbs seemed to shimmer with an intense yet innocent gaze. The same green eyes that of Sir Harwin Strong.

Rhaenyra had always imagined naming a daughter Visenya, inspired by the stories she admired of the woman and her strength. However, the fragile appearance of the baby before her did not match the strength associated with that name. Consequently, she chose to name her Vaella—a gentle name befitting a gentle girl.

* . °•★|•°∵ ∵°•|☆•° . *

Brown hair, green eyes had the princess in fear for her children's lives, especially Jace. He needed more protection than Vaella. No matter what, she still loved both equally. That was until two years later when her second son, Lucerys, came out with brown locks again.

In a desperate attempt to safeguard them, Rhaenyra proposed a solution to the King and Queen—Jace would marry Helaena, while Vaella would be betrothed to Aegon. Unfortunately, her proposal was swiftly rejected. The Queen, harboring long-standing resentment towards Rhaenyra, anticipated this outcome and sought the King's approval for the betrothal between Aegon and Helaena.

Rhaenyra found herself at a loss on how to protect her children. Her husband, consumed by his own desires, offered no assistance. All she had was Sir Harwin Strong, whose love provided her with a sense of security. Relying on him, she believed that as long as Sir Harwin stood by her side, their children would be kept safe, for he was willing to go to any lengths to protect his kin.

* . °•★|•°∵ ∵°•|☆•° . *

Growing up within the walls of the Red Keep provided an opportunity for the children of the Queen and Princess to form friendships. Vaella and Helaena became inseparable, finding solace in each other's company as the only daughters among a sea of brothers. Their bond even managed to soften Alicent's disposition towards one of Rhaenyra's children. It helped that Vaella's only resemblance to being a bastard was her striking green eyes, which coincidentally happened to be the Queen's favorite color.