TWENTY TWO

‿︵‿︵୨˚̣̣̣୧ - - ୨˚̣̣̣୧‿︵‿︵

The next morning dawned with a sense of déjà vu in Vaella and Aemond's chamber. As the soft morning light filtered through the curtains, the princess was abruptly woken from her slumber by a wave of nausea that swept over her like a relentless tide.

Barely had her eyes fluttered open when the sickness hit her again, fierce and unforgiving. Aemond, who had been sleeping beside her, was roused from his slumber faster than yesterday.

Without hesitation, Aemond rushed to her side, his concern immediate and evident. "This is the second day now. We need to call for a maester," he said firmly, his voice filled with worry. This couldn't be just a mere stomach upset.

Vaella nodded weakly, her face pale and drawn. She was in no condition to argue. Aemond swiftly left the chamber and searched for a maester to attend to his ailing wife.

Moments later, Aemond returned with a maester in tow. The maester wasted no time and approached Vaella, his trained eyes scrutinizing her condition. "What's the matter, princess?" he inquired, concern etched on his features.

Vaella's voice was shaky as she responded to the maester's inquiry. "I have been sick for two mornings now," she managed to explain between bouts of nausea.

The maester nodded, his expression thoughtful. He began to examine Vaella closely, checking her pulse, feeling her forehead, and asking a series of questions about her symptoms. After a thorough assessment, he stepped back, a knowing look in his eyes.

"Princess Vaella," the maester began, "when did you last bleed?"

Vaella furrowed her brow, feeling uncomfortable discussing such matters with an unfamiliar man. "I... I think it was about two months ago," she mumbled.

Aemond's concern deepened as he exchanged a worried glance with the maester. The maester, however, wore a smile of realization. "Congratulations, my prince," he said, turning to the prince. "Your wife is pregnant."

"Pregnant?" Vaella repeated, her voice filled with shock.

The maester nodded again, his smile warm and reassuring. "Yes, the symptoms you're experiencing are strong indications of pregnancy. It appears you are to be parents."

With a joyous realization washing over him, Aemond turned to Vaella, his face breaking into a soft smile. He knelt beside the bed and gently took Vaella's hand, bringing it to his lips to place a soft kiss upon her knuckles. "My love," he whispered, his voice filled with tenderness, "this is wonderful news."

Despite the lingering nausea and weakness, a radiant smile spread across Vaella's face. "Our child. Our little dragon." She cupped his cheek affectionately.

The maester offered his congratulations once more before discreetly withdrawing to give the couple some privacy to savor the moment. Aemond and Vaella clung to each other, their hearts filled with hope for the future.

Fueled by happiness, Vaella jumped up, and grabbed Aemond's hand, "We have to tell your mother the news."

Before Aemond could agree, Vaella pulled Aemond out of the chamber. Together hand and hand they ran down the halls of the Red Keep towards Alicent. The couple couldn't help but steal glances at each other, their smiles wide and filled with love.