𝟎𝟐𝟏: 𝐃𝐞𝐛𝐮𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐞 𝐁𝐚𝐥𝐥

School started off without a hitch. School was going by smoothly. It was awkward to see Mr. Medina, because of the fact that his engagement had been called off.

But at some point, It happened. Elsie wasn't entirely sure when it happened, but it did. It being Emily and Richard arguing. Loudly.

Maybe it was the homework that had her swamped and thus drowned out the arguing, but they were arguing because Richard kept turning down a bunch of invitations without asking Emily first. Sure, Elsie could attend those invitations with Emily, but it was just rude. It was almost as confusing as her experiences in Cape Cod. She still had no clue what Buffer Night even was and a part of her really didn't want to know.

She tried to stay away from the house to avoid the arguing by hanging out with her friends or studying with Cassian, who seemed to be growing a little sexually frustrated because Elsie still didn't want to sleep with him even though they still made out and did some under the clothes stuff.

A new maid named Liesl started the previous day, but even she seemed uncomfortable and nervous with the arguing.

Elsie wondered if Liesl had grown up in an abusive environment and that's why she seemed skittish. Or maybe her previous employer was abusive to her.

Whatever it was, Elsie wasn't sure and it seemed rude to ask.

So, when Lorelai and Rory finally arrived, Lorelai had Liesl go to the kitchen.

Rory and Lorelai listened to the arguing.

"What is going on?" asked Rory.

"They've been like this all week," Elsie said.

"I didn't know that my every conversation needed to be reported to you," Richard told Emily. "I stand corrected."

"I have been the co-chair of the Starlight Foundation for the last eight years," Emily replied.

"I know this, Emily," Richard said.

"And the Black and White Ball is the main fundraising event of the season," Emily continued.

"It's one year," Richard said.

"The co-chair cannot miss the main fundraising event," Emily continued.

"Why?" Richard joked, "Won't the chair be there?"

Elsie snickered slightly.

Emily asked, "Is this a joke to you?"

"Emily, I have too many things to take care of at work and Elsie has a lot of schoolwork and homework to do. We don't have time for frivolous parties," Richard said.

Emily looked insulted, "Frivolous parties? Friv—" She went upstairs.

"Well, where are you going? Oh, come back here," Richard said, going after her.

"Wow, this is bad," Rory said.

"It was worse a few days ago," Elsie replied.

"I wish we had popcorn," Lorelai said.

"Jesus Christ, Mother," Elsie said. "I have to listen to them all night."

Lorelai shushed her, "Incoming."

Emily and Richard came downstairs again, but Emily was reading from a stack of invitations, "The Hartford Zoological Silent Auction, the Mark Twain House Restoration Fund luncheon, the Harriet Beecher Stowe Literacy Auction."

"I can read those myself, you know," Richard told her.

"This is the fourth event you've taken upon yourself to turn down on our behalf. And I am on the board of all those foundations." Emily asked, "Now how do you think that makes me look?"