8 - Under The Influence

I let out a yelp when my eyes opened and I felt someone's breaths on my neck and hands wrapped around my torso, so before I even knew it, I had hit them in the face hard.

"Ow!" The British accent made me realize it was Newt right away. "You're gonna break my bloody nose sometime!"

"Maybe you shouldn't lay next to me out of a sudden then." I smiled as he rubbed his cheek, the twinkle in his eyes disappearing, which gave me a bad feeling too.

"Alright." Newt sighed and got up, me following. "Jorge is right over there." He announced as we walked over to the man.

"Why would I want to go to Jorge right now?" I furrowed my eyebrows but eventually shut my mouth when we arrived.

"Morning." Jorge greeted me in not the nicest way.

Newt gave Jorge a glance, who nodded. I was so confused by them both. The looks on their faces, glances, and the way they were talking.

"Yes?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Wesawyourside," Newt explained fast. Way too fast for me to understand.

"What?"

"We saw your side," Jorge repeated slowly.

My heart dropped. They knew. And that would bring them in danger. "How?"

"Lifted your shirt."

I stared at Newt, offended. "Why were you touching me while I was asleep? And how did I end up in your bed?"

It wasn't like I didn't trust Newt, but the thought of not knowing or being able to control what happened to my body while I slept, scared me.. even if it was just someone lifting my shirt.

"We want to know where you got it," Jorge said sternly, not answering my questions.

"On my side," I replied.

"That's not what we-."

"It's from a knife," I added before any of them could continue.

Thomas walked by, so I took my chance and grabbed his arm, pulling him toward us. "So Thomas, is the plan almost done?" I tried to change the subject and hoped Thomas would start a whole conversation.

He looked taken aback for a second. "Yeah, we'll go in two days." Then sadly, he walked off again.

"Jane, please tell us what happened, mi hija," Jorge begged.

Newt looked at me sternly. "Who did it?"

"I can't t-."

"Who?" Newt interrupted, his pure eyes staring at me deeply.

"Newt, it's dangero-."

Newt sighed and leaned against the wall. "I'm asking you who."

Yeah, I get that by now.

I bit my lip and looked down, at some point just decided to tell them, so grabbed the note out of my pocket and put it in Newt's hand, Jorge peeking over his shoulder to take a look too.

"He told me to come there and then did this." I motioned at my side as my heartbeat sped up.

Newt looked up from the note. "Where is he now?"

My face paled, the guilt yet the great feeling of killing that horrible man forming in me. "I used my knife."

Jorge sniffed. "Did you get any other notes? The delivery from Vince earlier?"

I swallowed and showed them the other note. "Tonight I'm supposed to go," I muttered.

"Were you planning on going?" Jorge lifted his head slightly.