26 - Lights Are On

A/N: Yes, I'm aware of the fact two chapters in this book are named after this song

~

I waited and waited for Newt's eyes to turn the beautiful brown they once were again. I waited for him to wake up desperately.

"Did you give him everything?" I snapped at Brenda.

"Yes." She replied, knowing my mood was the worst. Her voice was broken too, but I didn't care at that point.

I grunted and grabbed the serum out of my pocket, stabbing it into Newt's arm. Two serums, double chances, like Jorge said.

"Newt.." I cried, taking raspy breaths. "Wake up."

He didn't.

Then I got angry. "For god's sake wake up, Newt!" I screamed out, my hands clenching around his jacket. "Wake up!"

"Jane-."

"Shut up!" I yelled to whoever called out my name. "Newt!"

He gasped for air, eyes clearing up for a split second. The beautiful, familiar brown ones met mine. He waited for a second, searching for something in my eyes.

"I love you, Jane." He managed to say.

Then his eyes closed again.

It was the knife. It was in his skin too deep. The wound was too deep. The wound was too deep to heal in time. The wound that should've been mine!

Him telling me those last words broke me even more. I sobbed louder than ever before, memories of Newt and I coming back as I stroked his hair that had the color of sunshine.. happiness.

I didn't want to lose hope, but couldn't take it anymore. He was dead and I had to accept it. There was nothing I could do for him. The knife was buried into him, leaving a never healing scar that was also in my chest.. in my heart.

"Jane, we have to leave." Someone said, but their voice was blurred too much for me to recognize.

"No." I sobbed, my lower lip trembling heavily.

"Come on." They took my arm, but I roughly shook them off and held onto Newt.

"Newt-."

"Jane, we have-."

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" I screamed, not ready to leave Newt. I was never ready. I loved him too much.

Our relationship might've not been the best and we had some low points, but that was because we weren't the easiest people to just talk about their feelings. Neither of us were, which meant it was hard to understand each other sometimes, but we got through it. And now it was over.

"The buildings are falling. We have to, Jane."

"We need to take him with us." I cried.

"We can't."

"Why not?" I yelled, crying loudly again.

"We won't make it back in time if we drag him."

"You'll have to drag me out of here too, so choose! Leave two or drag two!" I screamed, letting my thoughts win.

I felt something get pressed on my head. It hurt a bit, and my gaze went blank for a second. It was like a button was switched and suddenly, I was completely sure that I wouldn't leave Newt, not knowing that wasn't my own mind speaking.

"Come on."

I let out a yell and grabbed the first weapon I saw on the ground. I couldn't control myself and just watched myself do things I didn't bother doing anyways.

I knew what was happening though. WICKED was controlling me like the many times they did, but I didn't care. I wouldn't leave Newt.

But my uncontrollable self got a little violent with a knife in my hands, ready to cut anyone who came near me.

"Jane, please.." A familiar, yet far away voice spoke. "Please come with us," Minho begged.

"Minho, hurry up!" Someone shouted.

I looked at the buildings around me falling apart, knowing Newt would die under them. Knowing I would too.

"I won't do anything," Minho assured me when he sat down next to me, tears falling down his cheeks too. I tensed up, never letting go of Newt.

Minho stared at his best friend too for a while, then wrapped an arm around me. I let out a shaky breath, leaning my head against Minho's shoulders as I never took my eyes of Newt.

The two loves of my life were close to me. I held onto them both in life threatening situation. But it was voluntary. I was ready.

"Minho, what the hell are you doing? Get back here and take Jane!"

Minho didn't listen and I refused to let WICKED control me. "Are we.. doing this?" I managed to get out, fighting against the strong feeling in my head.

The area around us filled with flames and smoke.
"It's your choice." Minho scooted closer, making my heart warm a bit.

Both of us held onto Newt now, ready to die for him, even though he already was. I assumed things would be better like that because I didn't know if I could ever heal from his death.

The sound of rocks hitting the surface gave us the sign buildings were falling close to us. The ground shook a lot, and smoke surrounded us.

I felt a rush of wind and saw the dark shadows of a building over me. It was falling. It was falling fast, getting closer to the three of us each second.

I grabbed Minho's hand, squeezing my eyes shut in fear of getting hit. I feared I wouldn't die from it, and that was what I wanted. I wanted to die from it. I was ready to die with Newt.. and with Minho's support.

And then, just a second before the building got us, Minho took my body in his arms, rolling me up on his lap and then bending over me, making me disappear into his arms.

I didn't know what he was doing myself, but if you would've watched from a distance, you would've seen he protected me from the tower, letting it hit him in the hope it didn't do that to me.

~

A/N: I'm crying so damn hard right now, omg.. but.. this is not the last chapter.