21 - High Enough

I felt a thick liquid drip down the side of my face. Blood. I could smell it even before I opened my eyes.  Something soft pressed against it, yet I still winced in pain.

"Let her go, you shuck face!" Someone screamed. Loud noises of stuff falling and someone else yelling followed.

Slowly my eyes fluttered open, just to find myself tied onto a chair. Minho was in front of me, also tied onto one, but he was kicking and hitting with his arms, or rather, trying. The ropes were too strong to break through.

Minho grunted, his chest moving up and down in fast motions. I could see the pure fear in his eyes, while I had no idea what would happen, though it was quite obvious if you were tied to a chair.

"There she is." A male spoke up and walked away from me. He was the one trying to clean the wound on my head and also the one I met in the elevator.. and cut. Great.

"Would you like to explain how the hell you got in here?" The man added. I refused and shook my head. Nick was a nice guy and I wasn't gonna betray him, even though we only met for a few hours.

He sighed and grabbed a syringe off the table.
"No!" Minho screamed, moving so much that his chair shrieked over the floor. He screamed even louder when the man moved my hair to the side and the syringe closer. "Don't touch her!" Minho yelled, face raging.

The man let go of me and watched the struggling Minho for a while as thousands of questions overflowed my thoughts, stress rising in me.

"Would you like me to give it to you?" He scoffed and walked over to Minho, which got me screaming for him to stop.

"Both then?" The man suggested.

I yelled for him to not give the syringe at all and let us go, but the man already took an empty syringe and started to fill it.

"Just take me!" Minho suddenly screamed, causing all of us to fall silent for a second. "Give it to me. Not her." He ordered, face blank.

The man chuckled. "How brave." He turned around and watched us both. "But sadly I've already made two syringes, kid."

Minho grunted and tried to escape his chair, but it didn't work.

"Give me shucking two then, you slinthead!"

The man laughed and shook his head, walking over to me. Slowly he stepped around me, touching my hair and moving it out of the way, looking for a place to insert the scary syringe.

"Take me." Minho hissed once again.

"As you wish." The man rushed over to the boy and sent the liquid into his neck.

"No!" I yelled, but it was too late. The syringe was empty and Minho's body filled with the liquid.

"How did you get here?" The man asked again as Minho struggled against the liquid. He clenched his jaw, tensing his neck too. I cried out by watching him get tortured and not long after, scream at the top of his lungs.

"Stop!" I balled my fists, feeling the tears burn in my eyes. I looked up at the man with the mustache. A silver badge on his coat caught my eye.

Doctor G. Prinz.

I almost gasped out loud. It was Nick's father. An even better reason for me to not tell him that his son helped me, because things wouldn't be good for Nick if I did that.

Minho's chest moved up and down so fast I was afraid his gasps for air weren't enough to fill his lungs. Some tears leaked from my eyelashes. I wanted it to stop so badly.. because if that was what they had been doing to Minho all these months... I didn't know what to do or how to fix my guilt.

"And.. done." The man mumbled as Minho's screams lowered. He sighed in relief when he completely calmed down, the tension in his muscles disappearing. "Your turn."

"No!" Minho screamed once again. "Don't touch her!" The chair scooted a bit, but Minho was tied onto it too tight.

Before I knew it, the syringe was inserted into me. I could literally feel the liquid get squeezed into a vein before it spread through all of them. It burned, as if the liquid was also working on my bones.

I let out a scream in pain, but tried to control myself, yet soon it turned intolerable. My body ached like I had run miles, burnt like I fell into hot water and my bones were on fire.. hurt like it was cutting through skin, and my windpipe got blocked, so just like Minho did, my breaths were quick and raspy.

I wasted air by screaming, throwing my head back, and clenching my hands around the chair. I didn't know how long it would take to stop. Doctor Prinz's talks were blurred and so were Minho's protests.

I squeezed my eyes shut, wet tears streaming down my face as I also wondered what the hell torturing us would help with a cure, but maybe they were just that evil.

When finally, it got less bad, I took some more gasps, which turned calmer by the second too. My body felt limp for a while, my head falling forward before I got full control of myself again.

"Alright." The doctor put his hands on his hips and watched both of us for a second. "We're gonna untie you.. so if you even dare to try anything.. you'll be seeing more syringes." He threatened.